1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schematic/design tips for a varitone switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongomania, May 10, 2006.

1. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm thinking about replacing the tone knob on a beater bass with a varitone switch, as a fun project. I had a varitone on my Kramer XL7, and it was very cool sounding- I liked at least three of its five or six settings, and the tones were more interesting than plain ol' treble rolloff. I have the Kramer guts still, and would copy it, but the assembly is tightly-packed and hard to dissect.

I found some information by searching here and Google, but nothing really straightforward. I understand that I will need to select RC values that will work well in conjunction with the loading of the specific pickup(s) of the bass, but before I even do that I'll need to know how the switch/RC/coil assembly should be wired. I'm NOT going to use it as a combination tone/pickup selector like the Gibson varitone; just a straight inline unit before the output jack.

Any links, tried-and-true tips, schematics, etc. out there? Thanks!

2. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    bump!

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    bump? Seriously, if you even know a better place for me to ask this question, please let me know.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Years ago, Craig Anderton published a schematic for a passive tone control that involved a resistor, a number of capacitors and a coil (one winding of a little bitty audio transformer from Radio Shack).

I'll see what I can find.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Found it...PM sent!

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Awesome, thanks!!!