Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schematic help-- my amp quit on me t his weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by justBrian, Oct 5, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    So, I was playing an all day outdoor gig (the American Royal BBQ contest here in KC) and was trying out my new, very cool, and very kick-ass Trace Elliot AH600. Things were fine until later in the day, mid-set of course, that the sound kind of faded away. I tried a couple of different things-- shut it down, etc, and it did come back up. I finished the set and shut it down thinking it might have gotten hot. After 20 minutes or so, we came back for another set. I turned the amp on-- plenty of input but no output.
    So, if any of you have a schematic or know where I can obtain one, or have any suggetions for repair, please let me know. Thanks!

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Um, hello...? Is anybody out there?

*sounds of crickets chirping*

Any ideas? Help?

*sounds of crickets chirping*

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most people here don't have amp schematics, especially for a unit that is no longer in production. You might want to try contacting Gibson.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh? Well thanks. I'll see if I can spend another couple of hours searching the net for the elusive information I need. :meh:

5. Take it to a tech near you! Unless you are set on "fixing' it yourself!

Good Luck.

[​IMG] Treena

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Right-- but I was going to have my friend (a EE major) take a look at it for me. He works for parts cost plus beer. ;)

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Did it make any sound at all after you shut it down?
    Or was it just not as loud?

If it was not making any sound, it may have overheated - you may try adding fans for outdoor shows.
    Small fans can be purchased at Radio shack. I use 2 extra fans on my power amps during outdoor gigs.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=273-241

If it was just not as loud, it may have been a power problem. We always use line regulators when playing outdoor gigs as sometimes there is a drop in power. Computer line regulators typically cost less that rack line regulators from music companies such as Furman. Power conditioners are not line regulators.

8. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks RN2W. That's kind of what happened. I was playing along and the sound just faded away. I changed a couple of settings, and it gradually came back up and I was bale to finish the set. When I came back-- there was nothing. I'm getting it back out of the band trailer today and I'll see if it works.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have your EE friend draw the schematic for it...it's an interesting exercise;)