Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler DYN-B & GK MB150?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pjcrump, Jan 25, 2004.

1. pjcrump

pjcrump

Jan 25, 2004
    I am Trio Jazz player considering the purchase of a Schertler DYN-B to replace the spongy nature of my Realist (particularly on the A-String) and I have been reading that the Schertler 'requires' the schertler preamp and amplifier.
    So the question I have is 1) is the Schertler a good pickup (I think the answer is yes) and most
    importantly 2) Can I use the MB 150 with it? If so how should I hook it up and how much will using the MB150 affect the Scherlters sound?

Thanks - PJ

2. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    There are plenty of members of this bulletin board who absolutely love the Dyn-B. You should definitely try it.

However there are a few unfortunate souls, myself included, who have tried the Dyn-B and found that it did not sound good on their instruments. When I tried it I found that it gave a truly horrible sound. So I sent it back.

My advice, try it, but before you do, make sure your supplier agrees to take it back if you don't like it.

Good luck.

3. My answers to your questions:

1] Yes

2] Well... at least you should buy an impedance matching plug that both converts the Schertler signal from low to high impedance and that has an XLR input and jack output (the Dyn only has a low impedance output just like a microphone). I fear, however, that you won't be too impressed with the sound result, since the GK will literally be in the way. You need a neutral amplifier (a la a mini PA as I have) to really get the most out of the Dyn.

If you want to hold on to your current amp, but want a better sound than the Realist gives you, I think the Schertler Stat-B will be a better choice, and it is a lot cheaper, too! But, if you want to reach "pure acoustic sound nirvana", the Dyn is the right choice, but IMHO you will need to change your amp setup.

Vincent

4. pjcrump

pjcrump

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks for the responses.. With regards to the GK MB150 - What if I get the Schertler recommended preamp and feed the input into the Effects loop of the MB150? GK's docs say that those inputs are processed after the EQ stage

Thanks - PJ

5. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    pb&j crumpet,

i've been using my gk mb150 through the effects return for about a year now. that is, i have a separate pre and run the line out from it into the effects return of the gk. as the gk folks told you, the effects return is 'after' the gk's voicing and eq preamp section, so in essence, whatever is coming in there is 'using' only the power amp and speaker, and is unaffected by the gk eq. it's a 'flat' signal (depending on how you have the pre eq'd) and will only be affected by the character of the speaker (and to a lesser extent i think, the power amp).

though i've never experimented with schertler products, when i run piezos through my pre to the effects return the sound is much better - less boomy and tighter, with less 'electricky' high end. since you'll need to use a pre with the dyn b i think this setup should work.

if you try it, please let us know how it works! i for one am curious.

sean p

6. pjcrump

pjcrump

Jan 25, 2004
    Sean,
    Thanks for the feedback.. What type of preamp are you using??

7. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The Raven Labs blender works very well when i put it into the effects return input. It has
    piezo and mic inputs. Very versatile.

8. sean p

sean p

Mar 7, 2002
    eugene, oregon
    raven labs pmb-1. very happy with it.

sean p