1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schertler Dyn B - why phantom powered/what if ?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by teleharmonium, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. teleharmonium

teleharmonium

Dec 2, 2003
    I've done some reading on this unit but haven't run across this information. The DYN B P48 pickup uses a dynamic mic element which then go into some active electronics.

What is the purpose of the active circuit, and do you get a typical (or low but still usable) dynamic mic signal (other than the relatively high nominal impedance) if you connect it directly to a mic preamp without powering it ?

Can you get lower impedance without powering the active electronics ? Or does it work at all under those conditions ?

Basically I like to support as few types of signals as possible so that I have maximum flexibility and minimum need for specialized gadgets. The time has come to get myself a more portable but still flexible live rig for bass. Dynamic mic and condensor mic low impedance outputs are things that I support now, and I have invested in quality mic preamps that I like, so if I'm using a mic I would rather use them. Line level is fine so long as it is +4 balanced and preferably with impedance on the low side. But I am not clear as to whether the output from a powered DYN B is quite the same as any of those things.