Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler "micro-condenser" and a Piezo Combo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by richnota, Jan 1, 2006.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    I noticed that the Shuker artist bass (similar to the Turner Ren and Rob Allen approaches) can be ordered with a Schertler system instead of an under-saddle piezo.

According to Schertler, this pickup is a tiny condenser mic that sits under the string saddles like a piezo. Sounds cool. The picture of the Schertler shows it to be scaled like a slim piezo element.

Here's the concept: build one of these AND a piezo into bass for more tone possiblilities. I imagine I could get a saddle wide enough (or split) to contact both units.

Anyone have experience using the Schertler?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

only mics I've used with a bass are to mic an amp. The thought about using an URB mic on a soldibody fretless has crossed my mind (couldn't get a magnetic pup to cop the acoustic tone the bass was putting out) but never came to pass. Don't know if there'd be impedence issues between the Schertler and piezo or not but something to know in advance. A TB search on the Schertler may pull up something of use. I'm guessing double bass forum most likely is where it would show but acoustic basses and sticks come up periodically elsewhere.

3. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    thanks...the schertler is a tiny pressure sensitive condenser mic that fits under the saddle like a piezo (its not an EUB pu)...but checking out the upright crew is a great idea.

From the lack of any response and absence of any posts I say I finally arrived at territory even the TB crew havent visited ...I'll probably get one to experiment.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

It's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it - and apparently you're it!