1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schertler STAT_B How important is the Schertler preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by atunbridge, Dec 10, 2002.

1. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I am thinking of buying a Schertler STAT-B pickup and I notice it is available with and without a preamp. Can anyone let me know whether the Schertler preamp is particularly important here - is there anyone running one without the preamp, or with another preamp?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    I think it would be difficult to run on another preamp, as it is RCA connectors. They sell it without the preamp for use with their PRE A II that they sell, which has a button for the electrostatic transducers.

Monte

3. I was told when I bought mine that the Schertler preamp was also needed to supply phantom power for the electrostatic pickup.

4. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    Thanks...
    I love this site!

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Has anyone tried the Stat B with some other mic preamp w/ phantom power ? (ART Tube PM comes to mind)

6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've tried running my Stat-B with a Raven Labs PMB-1 instead of the pre-amp that came with the Schertler. Even though I had some email correspondence with Schertler and Raven at the time I was going to try this that said it should work, I was never able to get it to work. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on since I've found the little pre-amp/phantom power source that comes with the Stat-B to be very quiet and just fine. I'm running this directly into an AI Contra or a Walter Woods, and the EQ controls on both amps are fine on their own. In fact, the sound of the Stat-B is so accurate and natural that I've run it directly into the Effects Return jack of a GKMB150 which sounded great with absolutely zero EQ control.