Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schertler STAT_B How important is the Schertler preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by atunbridge, Dec 10, 2002.

1. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    I am thinking of buying a Schertler STAT-B pickup and I notice it is available with and without a preamp. Can anyone let me know whether the Schertler preamp is particularly important here - is there anyone running one without the preamp, or with another preamp?

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I think it would be difficult to run on another preamp, as it is RCA connectors. They sell it without the preamp for use with their PRE A II that they sell, which has a button for the electrostatic transducers.

Monte

3. I was told when I bought mine that the Schertler preamp was also needed to supply phantom power for the electrostatic pickup.

4. atunbridge

atunbridge

Apr 23, 2002
    Devon UK
    Thanks...
    I love this site!

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Has anyone tried the Stat B with some other mic preamp w/ phantom power ? (ART Tube PM comes to mind)

6. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've tried running my Stat-B with a Raven Labs PMB-1 instead of the pre-amp that came with the Schertler. Even though I had some email correspondence with Schertler and Raven at the time I was going to try this that said it should work, I was never able to get it to work. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what was going on since I've found the little pre-amp/phantom power source that comes with the Stat-B to be very quiet and just fine. I'm running this directly into an AI Contra or a Walter Woods, and the EQ controls on both amps are fine on their own. In fact, the sound of the Stat-B is so accurate and natural that I've run it directly into the Effects Return jack of a GKMB150 which sounded great with absolutely zero EQ control.