Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schism

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by anubis101, Jun 30, 2001.

1. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    can somebody tell me what time is schism by tool in?

2. Ah... I am pretty sure it's in 5/4, if you subscribe to Bass Player, the main riff is in May's issue. But Tool changes time sigs a LOT in their songs, so be prepared.

And I'm out
    lowtones

3. :eek: I goofed... I played it again and realized that, at least the beginning, the song is in 6/8 (I can't find my BP issue to make sure, though).

Sorry bout that.

lowtones

4. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i know most the song...its really good but not overly complicated i was just wondering what the time sig was

5. it's begins in 6/8 then 3/4 then 7/4

6. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    I just checked the BP may issue and it seems to start in 3/4 then go to 12/8 then to 3/8... not positive though...

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Although this thread seems to have run its course, it does belong in MISCELLANEOUS, so off wit ya.

8. it starts in 6/8, and chancellor says it goes into 6.5/8.

9. actually it starts in 3/4, which is basically the same as 6/8.

10. That was it, I knew I read something funny in that issue.

11. couldn't you just listen to the song? and play the same speed?

12. whiteshadow

whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    Ohio
    What a novel idea... ;)

13. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah i could but i wanted to know what time sig it was in ok?

14. it starts in 3/4 and later goes into 12/8, i believe.

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    wellll....from what i know about the song is that the main riff ("i know the pieces fit...") is in 3/4....

but what i want to know is how to tell the difference b'tween 3/4 and 6/8. When my school's jazz band recieved a cool latin chart, we spent about fifteen minutes on how to count 6/8....but i think it's easier to count in 3/4. one-and-a two-and-a (six-eight) vs. one two three (three-four;add in "and"s after each down beat to compete with six-eight).
    i guess the main difference is that six-eight has a triplet feel to it, thus making it really tw0-four with triplets as opposed to three-four, but counting the eighth notes. hmm....if that's what i know, what i don't know must be friggin complicated! issues like this come up everytime i hear something in three-four (or is it 6/8?). songs like "breaking the girl" by rhcp seems to have percussive emphasis on the downbeats (one, two, three) while the bass has a bit of a triplet feel. the official tab says its in 6/8, but on the "funky monks" video, chad and flea count "one-two-three one-two-three..." which suggests downbeats, but could very well be eighth notes. a lil help here!

by the by, i reckon "6.5/8" is really 13/16. now that is a time that i would hate counting....one-e-and-a two-e-and-a three-e-and-a a-one-e-and-a, etc...the "downbeat" isn't even on the friggin downbeat!