Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schizm:tool

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ernieball22, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Ernieball22

Ernieball22

Dec 18, 2004
    i have tabs for this song but i can't make much sense of it...what time signature is this song in..is it 2 or three? sometime i hear 2 sometimes 3 or sometime even 4...im just not hearing it...and also is the 2nd string struming eigth notes while u throw in the triplet? and when u play the last not of the triplet are you also struming the 2nd string at the same time?? please help, thanks!

2. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well u cant get a stable time sig lol they always change during a song... hope that helps

oh and its schism not schizm :) and its hard to hear exactly hwo to play it cuz they use a chorus effect.

3. FUNKonthewall

FUNKonthewall Nailing The Groove

Sep 29, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Endorsing: Fodera Guitars, Aguilar Amps, Dunlop/MXR Accessories
    The riff that everyone knows is in 6/8, but they group it so it comes out as a measure of 5/16 followed by a measure of 7/16 (adding up to 6/8, and there are other ways to count it, as well). It's really weird when you analyze it, but it makes sense once you get the basic pattern in your head. The trick to "odd meters" though is to not think of it as being "odd". Just learn what it sounds like, lock that in your head, and you'll nail it everytime. Like when people tell me to play the schism riff, I don't think, "5, 7, 5, 7." I think, "Schism bassline." Forget about the meter. It's only there (in odd meter stuff) to help you figure out where the beats are so you can learn what it sounds like and translate it to your memory. Sorry for being long winded, but that's how I get around odd meters.