schmidt array pedal boards

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by neptoon, Dec 15, 2016.

1. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    these things seem totally awesome...I'm looking at the 450 model...anyone actually use one of these? I don't have a very large anount of pedals, so I'm thinking the smaller footprint won't be an issue...I'm running a b7k, a couple SA pedals, a boss delay, an ebs Sheehan, tuner, mxr compressor...that's about it...the only other pedals I might add are a midi mouse and a hub...slightest possibility of a filter, but a few of these pedals, I don't mess with and I could just put under the second tier...nifty looking system, just curious what the general opinion is, I've only seen mention of the name in the breeder's thread...

2. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Looks great but that price is pretty wild. Their one that takes an ES-8 basically cost like an ES-8. Maybe for people who don't rearrange stuff and have the money to make everything look precious perfect.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    yeah, they're pricey...I see it this way, though, the one I found cost the same as my b7k, and I don't see myself going beyond the capacity of a board that size...there are only a couple of tones I go after

4. Very cool!

I was well impressed with the fasteners that click in/out easily yet can safely hold everything in place. Very well engineered/designed...

Alas, all the extra bits add weight... I imagine they are quite heavy when you've got the wah platform, the this and the that in there. Still very cool and I do like modularity, there's just no getting around weight for just about any pedalboard that can withstand a good thrashing.

@dinoadventures : the modularity makes me think they are for people who move stuff around. If someone's not moving stuff around then have a pedalboard built to spec and it'd be much lighter!

dinoadventures likes this.
  5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    even though they have all of those clicky things, you can buy them for $3 -$10 at lowe's, they're called ball catches, and the hinges they use are the flush hinges you can get at lowe's for about $4...if you're a DIY'er, you could probably pull of a home build for not a whole lot, but I suck at building things...so..

6. For somebody who sucks at building things, you're sure up on all the prices of the hardware! :laugh:

7. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    I've tried building things before...my dad is a carpenter for fun/electrician by trade and I've tried to help with his projects thinking I might be able to pick something up...i've used all those components before in a cabinet door, same hinges and ball catches, that's how I recognized them...been trying to convince him to build bass stuff, he won't do it...I certainly can't :-/

8. I hear you; my dad's an engineer and reno'd the kitchen, built an office in the basement, built the garage...

I built a wooden stool in shop class and broke it about 15 times — I wanted it perfect and the shop teacher had bought warped wood that split if you looked at wrong – probably pocketed the difference from what the school budget gave him and what he "saved" on buying cheap-asterisks inferior end-cuts.

The only thing that works with me and wood is my left thumb getting hammered, either one. :laugh:
    Then I have to go get hammered with a blunt alcoholic beverage. drool

I need a bigger board, though, for my non-gigging pedalia — and since it'll stay at home and I can't afford anything it's going to be ugly, cheap and heavy.
    My two left thumbs are hating me already and I haven't even started the project. Lookout 2017!

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    yeah, my dad is the same way, he can build anything...I break most things...hey, man, do it up next year!

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    well, I should have it by the end of the week, looking forward to actually not having my pedals wandering around the floor like they've got no place to be :D

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    SO, I just have to put this out there for anyone interested in buying anything from Schmidt Array..

I got my SA450 yesterday for Christmas, and what an amazing pedalboard it is - i picked it out of the hot deals section, so i got a good price on it to begin with...and then, a bump in the road...

i had a family emergency come up at the last minute and they helped me out - i have been in constant contact with Martyn at Schmidt Array the entire time

after all the smoke clears, it arrived at my house in like, two days! there were some other circumstances that allowed that to happen, but it was turned around very quickly

when i opened it, i didn't even notice right away that the bottom deck wasn't in the box, but that wasn't a mistake of Schmidt Array, as I said before, it was from the deals section, so there were some other circumstances surrounding the purchase...i emailed them last night and he emailed back right away and he told me that he is going to clear this up urgently

So, bottom line, this is a super high quality pedalboard and their customer service is amazing...Schmidt Array hasn't been brought up on TB very many times, and when it is brought up, the price is, too...i wanted to say that if anyone is interested in these products, and you have the money, i think they're worth it, and if you need to interface with them for any of your needs, they're extremely easy to talk to and they treat you very well...

12. Congrats! :bassist:

Good Customer Service is worth a lot more than just equating it monetarily! :thumbsup:

13. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    especially if you need something...if you don't need something, it doesn't matter what the customer service is like, but if you do, it makes all the difference in the world...I was getting amazing service from these folks before I even paid a dime into their product...

14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'm digging up this thread because it seems to be the only TB thread on Schmidt-Array. How has your SA450 been holding up? Do you still have it?

neptoon likes this.
  15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    hey! I still have it and it’s been holding up great, awesome board! It’s loaded up with 10 boss pedals at the moment

16. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Good to hear! I pulled the trigger and will now test my patience by sitting here, watching the grass grow. Only 6-7 weeks :)

Derek Williams and kesslari like this.
  17. sydneytdc

sydneytdc

Jun 11, 2019
    I think a few folks on here have DIY’ed some boards inspired by the Schmidt-Array boards, I am in the process of building one and will post some pics when done.

BEADist and DirtyDuke like this.