1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schnitzer & deSola Testore #1(?)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by E-Mac, Sep 29, 2008.

1. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    Hey all, I'm venturing over from the Electric Bass side. My first love, and truest, will always be contrabass.
    ..here is my S&D Testore model bass. THE FIRST ONE!
    Well, I think it's the first one and it's the one on his site. Anyway, I wanted to post my beloved Testore model bass. I got it from Arnold back in '05 and have been in love ever since. There were a few modifications that Arnold did for me. One was the cut away in the fingerboard, and I can't remember why I wanted it for the life of me. It's aesthetically pleasing though. He also made a tailpiece out of cuban mahogany that mirrors the board. Underneath, the bass sits on a Laborie endpin.
    I have played some incredibly nice basses, and while mine didn't always top them, it could compete. The sound is still rounding out as the wood is shaping. Sadly, because of my poor right wrist, I do not get to play it as often as I would like. I often take months off of playing bass to let my wrist recover (partially from a childhood injury, part from my bow hold).
    If you want to hear someone with poor intonation butcher Rabbath's Iberique Peninsulaire on this beast, go to my myspace:
    www.myspace.com/evanscottmcg

I also use it on the George Crumb Madrigals Book 1..

Thanks for checking out this lovely instrument. Sorry for the poor quality recordings and pictures.
    -e

2. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    more pics

3. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    more

4. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    last pic.
    this was at arnold's shop when I was trying the bass out for a spin.

5. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
  6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Great job on Madrigals!

7. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    many thanks. I used to have all of book 1 up there, but i don't know what happened to the other two. the second madrigal is my favorite "No piensan en la lluvia, y se han dormido"

8. Mendry37

Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    Was it really 05' when we first took the trip to AES? Man that feels like a long time ago. The bass is looking great. Still using Corelli strings? For those months you take off of playing I will take her off your hands no problem. Give me a call on your way up to Glens Falls.
    Chad

9. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    Sorry, the chad. No one will take this bass from me... unless they pay lots of money. I need it.
    Three years ago we went there. It was a good time. And yea, I still use the Corellis. I like em. Very easy to play. I just wish my arm could hold up better. Maybe some time back in the gym, wrist curls and all.

What's going on these days?

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That bass has a lower bout straight out of Spinal Tap! :D

Nice bass Evan.

11. Mendry37

Mendry37

Oct 19, 2004
    Albany, New York
    Playing some Skorzeny. Working through arthritis and tendinitis. Switch to German and see how your hand feels.
    Chad

12. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    she's got a big bottom? thanks, Jake.

13. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    "Talk about mud flaps!" :D

14. Bass Barrister

Bass Barrister

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Nice bass !!

Would you consider adopting a 57 year old? That way, should something . . . ahem . . .unfortunate . . . happen to you, you could leave it to your "son". :hyper::hyper::D:D:D

If you can't find it in your heart to do the above, would you at least post the dimensions for the bass?

Thanks

15. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    I would consider it... you'd be a tax write off correct?

I'm not sure on the dimensions and I have no means of measuring. I'll email Arnold and ask. It's fat and it's deep. I love it.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Looks really sweet! Why'd you hide it from us for three years? :)

17. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    I always forget about this side of TB :bag:

It's been on Arnold's site for 3 years though...