Schoeder vs. Bag End

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Anyone have any experience with any of the small box Schroeders and the Bag End D10BXD? What kind of sound does the Bag End put out? Are the two cabinets even comperable? And, for the final question, is there really even anything in the same price range that matches the Schroeders?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i still havent had the pleasure to hear a schroeder. the D10BXD has a good amount of apparent low end, has a bit of scoop somewhere in the high mids, and has a really nice tweeter, lots of "sheen" w/o being harsh. from the descriptions of cabs like the 1012 and 1212, i think the shroeders would have a very different voicing, (not better or worse, just different) i'm guessing that the schroeders are a bit louder as well. the D10B cabs arent the most aggressive, the 1012 or 1212 might be more versitile cabs depending upon what you play. but, all this is academic conjecture based upon my experience with the BE cab, and wading thru the schroeder mega thread and other reviews on the schroeder cabs.
  3. Thanks, Ive always told myself Id read that whole thread sometime, just havent had a spare 5 or 6 hours lately. I have heard how rediculously loud Schroeders can get, and i believe that will come in handy often. Does anyone have any other comparisons they'd like to make in cabs in the $800 range? Acme, Demeter, Aguilar, whatever else you can think of?

BTW, Ill be running an Ampeg SVP-CL through a QSC RMX 850 into it.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I built the Schroeder website and the nifty banner ad you see here... so I won't comment on the Schroeder cabinets I use in my rig today.

I owned a pair of Bag End cabinets through the 90s and gigged quite heavily with them (S12 + S15). Matched with an old AMP BH-260 they KILLED! I like mids, I like punch... The Bag End's have that in spades. I found them voiced to the upper mids and NEVER had a problem cutting through in blues or rock settings. I was actually told to turn down at a lot of gigs because I was too loud in the house for the sound guy. I skipped the 10" Bag Ends because in my A/Bing I found the 15" to be quick like a 12" and the 12" quick like a 10"... so I never gave the 10" much time. Plus I was looking for 2 single driver cabinets. The little cubes were very portable and very tough.

I am looking to get a pair of Bag End PA speakers down the road... but I'm set for bass otherwise
  5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I've not tried a Schoeder yet. Bag End 10'S are loud and clean!
    The coaxial driver gives amazing sparkle and definition, and always enough bass, very deep bass. This bieng said, the BE's are not entirely flat, but coloured in a manner wich would help many players..BE IMO:a bit more expensive, but well worth it..
  6. Great info guys, right now i dont have a solid price cap, as Im still in in my junior year of high school, so Im amassing as much stuff that I want before I get to college. Wont be able to aford much then. Would any of you who have played the 12 and 15 BE combo say it was fairly flexible? Can i get a cutting aggressive tone from the pair thatll cut through the mix and then get a nice smooth round tone for a small coffee shop gig. (I have a feeling the 12 may work there? Maybe?)

Im beginning to think it would be better to have the two separate cabs so i dont have the one big cab to lug to a small gig.

Any and all thoughts and comments have been/are appreciated.

7. Oh yeah, Ive checked on BE's site but not sure if I just missed it or what, do they make a 12 with the tweeter and then a 15 without?

Also, could you guys give some online places that sell BE and some ball park prices?

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd love to try both, I'm envious of the TBer's who have the means to A/B the different brands available. I was considering the Schroeder's, but I ended up buying the (recently discontinued) Bergantino HT210/HT115 combo and I'm really happy with their tone, projection, and especially how they handle my B-string. I've been watching this forum and reading the posts on the new Bergantino HT210S/EX112S setup. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

I keep up with the Schroeder Mega-Thread; they're still a very interesting cab to me. Especially the 21012 cab. I like the thought of having one cab that weighs less than 80 lbs, that will knock down walls. :bassist: Bag End's gear has been so highly regarded for so many years. I once heard a local guy using a Bag End sub-system that sounded great. :cool:

- Art
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
  10. Ok, lets say i decide to go Bag End. Id probly get a 12 and 15. In your opinion, is it worth the extra almost 200 bucks for the 15 with the coax speaker?
  11. Also, anyone have any comments on Acme cabs?
  12. Thanks, Im having a huge problem deciding what I want with the huge amount of quality equipment out there. I looked on the Acme website and their B2's sensitivity rating was a full 10 db less than either schroeder or BE's.

I was also wondering if anyones stacked a pair of Jorg's 12s, one with a tweeter and one without.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Numbers and specs are good information, and make for snappy come-backs when talking about sound online, but you need to go try some of this equipment. I realize that is not easy for some TBers do to geographical reasons, but try to do the best you can..If it is a considerable investment for you consider a weekend road trip or something. Sometimes, as bassists, we are forced buy "sound un-heared"...
  14. That is true, and actually I havent really ever been able to buy anything based on playing it. Its always been seeing/hearing someone playing it. The local shops dont ever carry anything other than your generic Fenders, Peaveys and Ibanezes. Does anyone know of any places maybe in the Raleigh/Durham area that would have some nicer stuff?
  15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 12" + 15" BE stack is insane. very flexible. i use that all the time.

the coaxial 15 + 12 sounds every bit as good, with the extra "sheen" from the titanium tweeter. i have yet to get a voaxial 15, but it's on my list.

unfortunately BE does not make a coaxial 12". they did for a limited time and you may be able to find a 1x12 or 2x12 with a coax in it. the S12R, looks liek it would have a coax due to the red dust cap, but it's actually a 75 watt driver intended for guitar (and it sounds awesome with bass BTW)
  16. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Two S15-D cabinets stacked are also amazing.
  17. Is this the elusive coax 12 you speak of?

Dont know that Id want that one, seeing as how its listed as a guitar cab and Ive read so much about not using a guitar cab with bass, unless its the same type of driver BE uses in its other cabinets.
  18. Does the BE 15 suffer from loss of low end? the freq response shows only -6db at 50 hz.

I have also noticed the GK Neo 15 cab. Any thoughts?