Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Scholarship Audition Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jay, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Alright, since we "toybassists" don't have a sheet music forum, this landed here...so here goes.

On Dec. 17 I have a private tuba lesson with the director of bands at Blinn College in Brenham, TX. He is an awesome tubist, so this is a great opportunity. Besides the lesson, he is auditioning me on tuba and bass guitar for a scholarship. As part of the audition, I need a good piece of written music to play. I am looking for suggestions of a good etude or jazz study for bass that I could play for the audition.

To help you out if you decide to help me, here's a little background on my musicianship. I am 16, a junior in high school. I am one of the top musicians not only in my school but in Texas Region IV as well. I've been playing bass for a little over 4 years, self taught. I can read music well though I have trouble sight reading the upper registers. If I can get the music at least a week early, I can most likely work it up in time for the audition.

I hope that I haven't come off sounding like a big-headed egotist. :D

Thanks y'all.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to General Instruction per metalarch69's request.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, as my former music teacher would say, it's very black (= a lot of notes), but if you can nail it you'd impress anyone...

Chromatic Fantasy as played by Jaco. Start SLOWLY! :D

There's also a Bach Prelude in C as played by Jeff Berlin. That should be a lot easier to nail than "Chromatic Fantasy" but is till impressive, and with some hard work you ought to get it in a week. If you are as good as you claim to be, of course. ;)

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Oysterman: Bach=good is right on!

The Bach Prelude in C Minor is excellent! After an hour of practice, all but the last four lines is quasi-decent. Gard also suggested a selection from 6 Suites in G Major for me. I tinkered with that a little last night, and I think I could work that up in time...maybe. They are both very cool tunes. I dig Bach, he's my fave. I remember playing Gavotte on tuba for an audition in the past, and I got first! Maybe it's a Bach thing, but I'm feeling good about this. :D

BTW, Chromatic Fantasy?! Yeah right, maybe I could do it, but in a week?! I'd have to be alot better than I am to work that up in a week. :rolleyes:

Thanks alot man. Keep 'em comin' everybody else! :)

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And you call yourself a "top musician"? (taken out of context, I know :p ;))

You wouldn't have to do it in Jaco's tempo, you know. But yeah, it would be too much for me to do as well... given a month! :D

6. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    :rolleyes: :p

Man, I'm really loving the Prelude in C Minor, especially the way it just moves. The only problem I have, and this is kind of funny, is that I can't see the music. I had to get a magnifying glass to be able to differentiate between a 2nd line above the staff E and a third line above the staff G, a natural and sharp, and countless other tidbits that just seem to blur together. Besides those slowdowns, I'm doing quite well. Thanks alot for the suggestion, I really dig it! :)

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have this photo copy of music where i don't know where it came from called "86 ETUDES: BOOK 1." Written by Josef Hrabe. You should be able to play it, especially if you are playing bss guitar.

8. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    ::Twilight Zone music::

:D Man, freaky!

Hey, thanks y'all!

Peace