Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

School assignment help: French popular music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Oct 20, 2005.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have to deliver a 15 minute presentation in my French 301 class, and think I may want to go with French popular music and musicians. Of course, I could include other francophones as well, so maybe some from Montreal or some Swiss could make it in the presentation.
    Here's where I need TB's help: who do you recommend highlighting, and why?
    I of course will look into some of the obvious bass players, Carbonne, DiPiazza, Caron, but don't know much of French musicians outside of these.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Daft Punk are french, and they are popular. So is Air.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Check out:

Georges Brassens
    Georges Moustaki
    Edith Piaf
    Charles Aznavour

The only french rock band I know it Telephone, but I know they're pretty popular.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What about Jordy? He was a rapper from the 80's.

-Mike

6. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Stereolab.

One of the most important french groups, ever.

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Oh my god. Not Jordy le petit bébé? The baby rapper who was saying how hard it was to be a baby? Dur dur d'être un bébé, oh la la bébé... If so, ignore Jordy as much as you can.

You should check out Sinclair (France), Les Colocs (Québec), Michel Cusson (Québec, played with Caron in Uzeb), and Zébulon. All of the above is rock/pop except Cusson, who's a jazz guy.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Google Alizee. The music might suck, but the guys in your class will enjoy the pics.

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Definitely a job for Allmusic.

11. Do a Google search for Johnny Halladay. He was the Elvis of France in the early years of rock & roll.

12. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
  13. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Francesca Gagnon, my favorite singer ever. She was with Cirque du Soleil for around ten years, released a solo album in the middle of that, and has a new one out now. Link: http://www.francescagagnon.com

edit: Oh yeah, she's from Quebec, but you did say anything Francophone.

14. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Michel Colombier

15. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry Black bird, it is not your fault but your post realy made me laugh !
    ;)
    Why ?
    Just because a good part of your references are dead....
    It is just as if I would say that today popular american music would be :

Elvis Presley
    Frank "Sinatra" (sorry for the spelling"
    or other very old things.

Socome, what type of music do you want to present, in France you will find very famous pop artist (top 40's) but also rock bands, metal bands... who are quite popular here...
    Tell me what you search and I will try to help you.
    :)

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No need to apologize, Shiveringbass, and I'm glad you got something out of my post.

I know that most of the names I mentioned are no longer living, but SoComSurfing didn't specify whether the presentation was on contemporary music or not.

The fact that you compared my name choices (which wouldn't otherwise have been mentioned at all) to Sinatra (you spelled it right) and Elvis, two very important figures in american music, leads me to believe that my choices were indeed very good and far from useless.

And not to put too fine a point on it, I still find my post more helpful than yours in the sense that despite your offer to help, you didn't name any artists at all.

I'd love to know about some good contemporary french music. I'm looking forward to your next post.

17. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Things you will here all day on radios, very popular, very "main stream", easy listening :
    Jean-Jacques Goldman
    Milène Farmer
    Francis Cabrel
    Johnny Hallyday
    Florent Pagny

Pop/rock things that are realy popular and will be heard on youngsters radios :
    Luke
    Dionysos
    M
    Louise Attaque
    Noir Désir 'a bit older but a myth in french rock !)
    La grande Sophie
    Superbus
    Mickey3D

A new wave of "chansons française" based on worked lyrics
    Benabar
    Cali
    Jeanne Cheral
    Trio

Metal :
    Aqme
    No one is innocent
    Lofofora

This is just a few things that you can start with, they are many other also in rap, RNB and so one but this is just not my cup of tea
    ;)
    You can listen some extracts of all those bands or singers on that commercial site :
    www.fnac.com
    or this one I think
    www.amazone.fr

If you have some questions, just asks.

Edit : sorry Blackbird, I've just seen your post...
    My reply was not made to offend you and of course your references were great but not from this time.
    I just feel like each time French music is evocated, it is to speak of very old things that are no longer representative of today french scene.
    And for the absence of name in my post, I was at work so I made it short. Now that I'm back home, as you can see, you've got a quite good starting point and some few hours of listening !
    ;)

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I seem to remember a double bassist, who had a great jazz solo album out. I've tried a couple of google searches but nothing. I believe he was french (I think his name was hyphenated). For the life of me I can't remember his name! I think his album has duet pieces, and solo pieces on it.

Somebody please help.

Anyways, he's a great french bass player.

<edit>

Found it. I can't believe I forgot his name...

Renaud Garcia-Fons

19. well, I listen to

La Rue Ketanou
    As de Trefle
    Karpatt
    Debout sur le zinc
    les gargouilles
    les ogres de barbeck

most popular french music isn't that good imo,but think britney like, star academy, etc. there's some better bands

these are all smaller bands, really nice and fun music