school band/music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lazybassass, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    ive recently been reading about alot of people talking about getting graded on bass at their school.also people talking about the guitars at their schools a pretty nice highschool but we have nuthing to do with basses or guitars.can sumone tell me what exactly they do at the school with guitars and school just focuses on like trumpets and stuff.and id love to get a grade on sumthing i actually like doing.
  2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the chorus program had some sort of guitar program...well, it did earlier in the year anyway. actually, it just could've been that the guitar playing members would just bring in their instruments.

also, some metalheads bring in their guitars and play during lunch. whether that is cool or not is your own opinion.
  3. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dont know exactaly what you mean, but im in the orchestra (we even have a website), jazz band, and rock/pop band. the orchestra recently had a concert at barnes & noble (bookstore)
    ::straightens tie:: ;)

usually just get a "A" unless you really dont try.

we have 2 URBs, one electric and multiple acoustic guitars at our school...
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Talk to the Band Director or Choir Director. At my school i'm now considered THE department bassist to have-kinda nice as a freshman. If you talk to the directors they might want you to or they might not-that simple. Right now i'm in the following school bands: Jazz Band[electric & upright], Freshie Concert band [upright], was in Marching Band [electric], am in First Edition Band (Show Choir) i think is the website on electric, show/pep band [electric]. Then the choir director said he's gonna have someone play key-tar so that i'm not overloaded as a freshman in a choir band this year but he wants me next year. If you can get it-try and get a monopoly on the parts. Presenting yourself well is just as important as how well you play. thats all
  5. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    ya see my school has no bands except for your normal marching band.i think its mainly becuz our music director is stuck up.its too bad that not all of us can have the same oppurtunitys. stuff will look awsome to coleges.good luck.
  6. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    My school has many different bands: jazz, marching, show, etc. We also have a guitar (bass) class as an elective.

7. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Edited by jazzbo. Although, I did laugh at the original post. :D
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bwah hahaha! Metalheads? Bwah hahaha! That's a good'un! More like the pathetic half lifes who think carrying around a pointy guitar all day and making inane references to Deftones, Korn, and (God help us all! :rolleyes: ) Slipknot will make them cool. I know most of em, and I can tell you right now: both of us could blow them outta the water. And we play bass.

The ONLY way I would bring and instrument to school would be if I was to use it for a band reason. And in that event, it would be stored in the band room.
  9. nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    at my school, our jazz band/ orchestra will be a class next year for credit. (however you won't get credit the second time you take the class :( )
    our school has an URB, which is currently on loan to me, and is sitting in my living room.
    we also have an elective study of music class. if you play any kind of instrument and are on the teacher's good side, you get an automatic A, which is nice. unfortunately this class has everything to do with music history and nothing to do with music theory.
  10. We have a "regular" band (concert, I guess) for grades 5-8. No one gets to play bass in it, unless you're in 8th grade, and it's the last marking period.
    Then, once you get into highschool in 9th grade, all they do is jazz. No marching band. Right now, I play <<shudder>> flute in concert band, and bass in the highschool combo band. (I special :rolleyes: They needed a bass, and I was the only bassist in the school available)
    I don't really get graded on how well I play, and come to think of it, nor does anyone else. It's pretty much "do-you-show-up-and-not-cuss-out-the-teacher" on a daily basis. Needless to say, it is possible to fail band.
  11. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    wait, what did i say?? i dont even remember posting twice on this thread...??
  12. In fact, my drummer friend and i have been asked to get together a rock/pop group in school that we dont actually play in. There is myself, my drummer and a very good guitarist who i dont know too well doing it. We are supposed to get all the kids in the years below who arent as experienced on their instruments to play.

SO basically we have about 10 guitarists, 5 drummer, 2 bassist 20 odd singers and the odd pianist etc that e have to get to play 5 or so numbers in about 2 months time. I have a feeling its gonna take up a lot of my time.

13. lazybassass

Jan 23, 2002
    wait u mean carrying around a b.c rich and playing other peoples riffs doesnt make them cool?
  14. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    at my school there are guitar classes. they count give a full year of credit and the 4th year is honors credit. my friend is a TA in his 2nd year, so he is getting crazy college credit. plus it counts as a fine art (which my school makes us have at least one credit of). I would take it, but i dont have time in my schedule. Im taking orchestra instead, cause i have played the violin for eight years, and its good for me to be forced to read music every day :-D

15. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  16. Nice stereotypical views ya got there. :rolleyes:

Some of the best musicians i know are metalheads. The two best drummers I know (one is in my band) are hardcore into metal. And don't give me no "they aren't as good as the jazz greats" cos I jazz-jam with my drummer and the the other is in my school jazz band and man they can wail.....

oh yeah, don't you EVER call deftones, slipknot or any mallcore, metal. THAT'S MALLCORE, NOT METAL. for metal check out testament, the haunted, cryptopsy, in flames, iron maiden, sepultura, slayer and pantera (the definition of metal) :mad:
  17. there talking about there school in florida dude.
    besides we can start a flame war of whats true metal or not and i'd probably win so im not going to argue on it. also the true metal scene and jazz share alot in common like no limits and the popularity of the scene even now they teach metal guitar in some really good music colleges and stuff and no way a victor wooten album is going to be in the top 40 as a metal album wouldnt either and there are jazz clubs and metal clubs. i bet in 40 years there be metal programs in all schools like there are jazz bands. remember jazz in the beggining was known as a music genre that inspired passion and evil.
  18. dude, it doesn't matter. stereotypes are stereotypes. And what's wrong with setting some vague definitions of genres? genres gives us common ground when it comes to defining a sound of a band or artist. also, I'm not against jazz, as you may or may not think, in fact i love jazz. it's just that whenever says that a metal drummer is sweet, somebody kicks in saying that they got nothing on the jazz greats.
  19. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You think I don't know the names Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Napalm Death, Opeth, Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Death, Entombed, Inestinal Baalism, Celtic Frost, Jungle Rot (I can go on an on...)?

I know sure as hell metal AIN'T Deftones, and Co. And I wasn't dissing metalheads. Hell, I am one. What I was saying was that they, being a bunch of first year, and sometime less, guitar players, are conviced playing Iron Man on a Warlock will make them seem cool and dangerous. It doesn't. Enter my first post.
  20. your names are weak and like i said i dont want to start a flame war so i'll just list some bands for you to check out /quo vadis/winter bestowed/misery index/nasum/dying fetus/catastrophic/possessed/pestilence/origin/incantation/cephalic carnage/soilent green/exhumed/vomitory/diabolic/krisiun/terrorizer/athiest/mayhem(old)/dark funeral/cirith gorgar/lord belial/carcass/decayed soul/pig destroyer 666/therion(new and old)/bolt thrower/immolation/ thats about all i can think of right now so eh dont

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.