Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

school days solo

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by funktastic, Aug 23, 2005.

1. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    i looked on some sites for the solo in Stanley Clarkes "school days," but i really cant fit the tabs(i know, they are terrible) with the music. The song either passes the tab up due to the tab being tabbed short or notes seem to be in wierd places. Can anyone help me and show me where a tab is i can use accurately? I know i really shouldnt be using tabs anyways, but man this solo's tricky :help:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well to me, Tabs are useless in this instance - what's hard about the solo is not what pitches are involved (chords/scales) but rather, the rhythmic placement of the notes - and Tab gives you no indication of this! :meh:

3. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Why don't you do what every other bassist has done and use your ear to learn the damn thing? :eyebrow:

4. funktastic

funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    because im not THAT great with my ear yet, and to do that with a stanley clarke song is kinda hard for me...jeeze. thanks bruce for at least being nice about it even though its kind of a pointless topic.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well... the way to get better is to do more and more transcribing yourself - personally I think this is where looking for Tabs holds you back - so if every time you give up and look for Tabs whenit gets tough, then you aren't going to get any better - keep persisting and you can only get better! :)

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I'm pretty sure that Stanley Clarke book has both tabs and notation. I used to have it laying around somewhere - School Days was definitely in it.

7. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    There is a good version of some Stanley Clarke stuff on bassplayer.com, in the lessons section.