school days solo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by joeyzaza, Sep 18, 2006.

1. joeyzaza

joeyzaza

Dec 16, 2005
    I can play all of it fingerstyle, but it sounds like stanley almost plucks/pops every single note, maybe it's his tone. My sound compared to his is pathetic, it just sounds weak and light, I've spend ages practicing a light touch with good feel and tone, but stanley has a big hard sound in this tune, and I can't figure it out.

Do I just fingerpick the strings really hard? Is that what I'm supposed to do? Does he play some of it with his thumb? Does he use distortion?
    :(

2. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    yes you have to pluck really hard. stanley of course plays upright and his hands are really strong from doing this for years. he played this track using an alembic so that accounts for some of the crispness you hear. i used to play this solo on a 32" scale alembic and the tone was nearly identicle. he may have even used a picolo bass. i use a jazz now with heavy strings 45-110 and the sound is much different. not all of that tune is finger style. there is a slapped part in the middle played on the e and d strings. and the main riff is a series of desending double stop fifths played on the d and g strings ending on the a and d strings. i play this by pulling up on the strings with my index finger strumming them in unison. you need a heavy handed touch to cop this tone. peace, jeff

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021