Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'School Days' technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Phunky, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    How does Stanley play the chorus on School days? What's that technique called? I think i saw in on Victor wootens 'Lesson on technique' but i'm not sure.

When Stanley does all that fast playing in the end, what technique is that? Is it popping? If so it's unbelievably fast..

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It sounds like popping but it's just the way Stanley pulls on the strings when he plays finger style in conjunction with the bass he's playing that gives him the signature sound that you hear.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what he does is finger style very aggressively near the end of the fingerboard.

also investigate the spanish guitar technique called the "rasgueado." Stanley usese this also quite frequently.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The main riff of the song is played with his fingernails flamenco-style. The riff that's Em-F#m-G etc. after the main riff is slapped. All the soloing is done fingerstyle, and he plucks really hard to make the strings pop.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    To my ear, and I'm going out on a limb here because I don't have the recording handy, the main riff is:

A F# E D F# E D F# E D C A played as double stops.

The slap part is Em F#m G.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's partially what he said:D. It's actually Em F#m G A.

The part in question plucked*. Very easy with low action.

*which is partially what you said;)

7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Sigh...It's been a long day and night.

8. when stanley plays, his fingers are so strong that when he runs he sounds like he is popping.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This is actually a common misconception. It's not about strength, although Stanley definitely has strong and long fingers. Part of it is that he uses short scale basses, and the string tension is looser, part of it is using upright right hand techniques that put more meat on the string, and part of it is playing closer to the neck. It's really not a question of strength. If a wuss like me can do it, anyone can ;)