Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

School Function

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Dec 27, 2002.

1. I'm going to be playing for a drama event at my school and need some advice. The band mates want to play something metal and i can't think of anything. The major dilemma is that our drummer hurt his hand and can't play anything too complicated. Any of you metal heads have any suggestions? (the bandmates want to play some SOAD, but other suggestions are welcome). Oh and on the performance side, I'm not a "hardcore" bassist by any means, anything thing I can do to fit the persona? I would hate to just stand there while the others are "rocking out". Thanks for the help.

2. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    don't worry about "rocking out", it's overated anyway. just sound good, and the rest will follow. just move around how it feels natural.

3. cant get into it, then just "flow" with the beat or walk around a bit.

some songs i suggest are:
    - poison the well - "nerdy" (if you have 2 - guitarists.)anything by five pointe 0 - (their drummer isn't too bad)(and 2 guitars)
    - taproot - most songs

4. real metal needs to have a very well-functioning drummer.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think drummers are one of (if not the most) important members of the band. I think that's why I like Slayer so much, Dave Lombardo is the shizzy. But then again Floyd, who says they are doing REAL metal, I mean they wanna do System of a down...

heh, I kid I kid, I like SOAD.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I've been meaning to say this for a while. I think it's hilarious that your sig is "oooooh Mr. Davey Castelo called me "Phenomenal and Super Fast""... heh heh :)

7. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    oh yeah!;) :eek: ........ hehe, j/k

8. in the old speed metal of the 80's(slayer, metallica, etc.) the drummer had to be good, very good. nowadays, in the miserable world of nu-metal, rapping is more important. SOAD is a good choice, but some songs such as Toxicity might not be a good choice for your drummer(lots of fills). i'd recomend sugar or suite pee. both rad songs. but, if your drummer has double bass, then In the Name of God by the almighty SLAYER.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I was going to say that... SOAD's drummer is pretty good... uh wait a minute, I just thought of something... you wanna play metal with an injured drummer? ehhhhhhh... ok, have fun.

10. very, very true. lombardo really made slayer into what they are/were. kerry and jeff would play some stuff, and dave would tell them to play faster. they'd play it; he'd say faster. they'd play it, he'd say faster, etc. his theory that they should play it so fast that it sounded like it was about to fall apart:p
    paul bostaph was great too, but definitely not the speed freak that dave was. who do you prefer?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's hard to say, both are great. If I had to choose I'd go with Dave. What I dig about both of them are the double bass attacks... not just steady 16 notes (which is also cool in it's place), but little triplet bursts. Oh man, I love slayer :)

12. yeah. i LOVE the drums in gemini. that song rules.
    when i think of paul's style, i think of him as a cross between dave lombardo and vinnie paul. dave's more about speed, whereas vinnie is more about rhythm. paul is a little of both. i'm not sure if that makes sense, but...yeah.

13. when i think of double bass, i think of Warzone. the chorus on the song is so damn fast for the bass drum, it boggles my mind, and i'm not even a drummer. but, slayer wouldn't be slayer without kerry king. its a toss up between King and Hammet for best guitarist, IMO. those solos are amazing.

another great thing about Slayer is that they sound just as good, if not better, live. saw them in september, best show i've ever been to. they go a little overkill on the amps(24 4x12 marshall cabs, 12 for each guitarist), but its still amazing. only concert i've ever seen where i can actually say it was TOO loud...

14. Well, it depends on what "type" of metal youre looking for here. There are two types i can think of off the top of my head, although some may not consider ozzy metal anymore, i do. Anyways, i can tell you, ozzy's drummer can play some pretty mean complicated awesome sounding stuff live and also in some recordings. But then theres the metallica metal, listen to the "black" album or S/T album of metallica and youll find that alot of songs arent very complicated. IDo you guys want to play the "ozzy" harder type metal or the "new metallica" kind of softer metal? Cuz if you wanna play crazy hard stuff, then your drummer might be in a bit of a pickle, thats just my opinion though.

15. Thanks for the input. Yes playing with an injured drumer should be fun :rolleyes: but he might have recovered by the time of the performance. He does have a double bass pedal so I will give them some of your suggestions. About us wanting to play SOAD: not my choice :D I like them and all but it can get boring for me on some of the songs. But I just go with the flow with this band cause if I want to do something different, I try it in my other three bands/ projects. :D Again thanks for all the suggestions.

16. Hefferstud: I believe they're open to anything as of right now. This band doesn't really have a set genre which I like. We play whatever we think sounds good so any suggestions will work. Oh and yes I now the drummer situation will limit what we can play but there's nothing I can do about that. again thanks.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I suggest making it something absolutely absurd and over the top, I wouldn't remeber the band that did some System of a Down song. I'd remeber the band that did a... Cannibal Corpse song :eek: I dunno, make it interesting, and have fun with it. I truely regret not doing our school's big year end performance thingy. It looked like fun, but back then I was horrible at bass... more horrible then I am now, so I would have looked back at it and said... man... I was an ass. :D Just have fun.

18. hows your singer? if he's good, and you do go for the over the top act, Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth, both great metal bands. need a keyboard though...

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah like Fetis is suggesting, it also depends on what range we're talkin' bout with your singer. And uhhh, how talented the band is. Basically, we could rattle off so many bands/types of metal and not everyone can hit every kind of metal.