1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

School Fundraisers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Apr 10, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A lady at work brings in some random items to try and sell to the office staff here for her sons school fundraiser. It's your usual collection of kids toys, books, cheap jewelry, cookbooks, board games and so on. As I was looking around the table, I saw something that disturbed me. One of the items for sale was a Desperate Housewives Dirty Laundry Game, sealed in a lunch box looking tin box with the stars from the show scantily clad all over the front of it.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but that just seems wrong to have a 10 year old child selling something like that.

-Mike

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I agree, Mike. I can't believe some of the crap that passes off as "acceptable" for children.

What also gets me is the parents are doing all the selling. Mom or Dad take the stuff to work to peddle it, instead of the kids going door to door like we used to when we were in school.

Times have certainly changed.

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    The really creepy thing is there are some name brand clothing stores out there (that shall remain nameless) who market tank tops, belly shirts (with suggestive slogans) and really short skirts to girls in the tween (9-12) age group.

Vince

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Oh, I agree! Especially this one.

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    In addition to that, I'm really down on people taking their fundraiser sheets to work. It puts the solicitor and the solicitee into an awkward position. The pressure to give in those situations is far greater than it should be, because of the fact that you work day to day with these folks, whether you like it or not. The person you turn down will not know that you just gave to all four people from accounting first...and hate you anyway...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Oh yeah. I remember doing it in school too. My parents made me check with all of my neighbors and then some. It always seemed like cheating to ask my parents take it to work, so I never did.

jkritchey....I agree. As an example, the lady at my job was standing in the break room inviting people to come in and look around. Then, she'd put the guilt trip on people. I didn't buy a single thing just to prove a point. She can dislike me all she wants.

-Mike

7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    We've always got a box of those $2 chocholate bars in our lunchroom. One of the guys here at the lab brings them in and does a good job of keeping it full. In the end it doesn't so much seem like a fundraising thing as it does a way to grab a superbly unhealthy snack in the afternoon.

That said, I have absolutely no problem if one of my co-workers comes around looking for charity donations (I donated just last week for a bike marathon raising money for children's hospitals). If they're selling something I don't want, I don't buy. If it's a decent cause, I'll give 'em some money. Beyond that I can't see why I'd be bothered by it.

On the topic of kids going door to door, I think I was about the last generation to get away with that. I don't know if society has actually become as dangerous as we think or if parents are just being overprotective, but cold-calling complete strangers doesn't seem to be something you encourage your kids to do these days. Really, if you won't let your kids hit up strangers, who else could they sell to? Kids don't know anybody, especially anybody with money.

-Nate

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    This is the problem. I've been a teacher for 35 years and fund raising is just a necessary part of trying to get enough money together to do good things for the kids. Selling door to door is OUT. In the time I've taught we've gone from encouraging students to sell to neighbors, to asking them to have their parents go with them to discouraging them to go door to door and now we tell them not to all.

Trying to find interesting things for the kids to sell at a good price is difficult. And there are other groups selling too that aren't connected to the school, sometimes these groups compete with the same product.

I'm going to stop now, because I don't want to hijack this thread into thoughts about funding community groups that are worthwhile.

9. I still say school should be sponsored. How cool would it be to go to Nike High?

Ok, maybe not.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    My last job had a great policy regarding inner-office solitation. Any sign up sheets were posted on a bulliten board and no direct solicitation was allowed. Candy and other items were also stored in the breakroom, and the solicitor would place a small lockbox with a slot next to the candy to collect money. The money and candy were collected at the end of the day so that it wasn't stolen by the cleaning crew. The solicitor could also keep the candy or goods at their desk, but they were not allowed to "market" these items. No one was allowed to go office-to-office, or send mass e-mails.

This policy was instituted after one particular mother used overly-agressive tactics to sell her daughters fund-raising crap. After going door-to-door, and sending multiple e-mails, she started sending e-mails including the names of the people (mine included) who had yet to support her daughter's fundraising program. She encouraged those who had already purchased items to question and encourage those of us who hadn't. Many people sucumbed to this pressure, but several of us took a complaint to her superior.

My current job has no such policy. One of my coworkers has approached me about 4 seperate fundraisers for her three kids in the 4 months that I have worked here. I nicely said no to the first two, but on the third she said that I couldn't say no again and that I was the only person in the office not supporting her children. I'd had enough, so I told her I really didn't feel it necessary to support her children, since they live in a 4,500 sf house, drive brand new cars and send their kids to the most expensive private school in the area. She also hasn't worn the same outfit twice in the 4 months I've been here. We don't speak now, which is fine with me. ;)

My biggest pet peeve is the new trend for street-side begging. Rather than having a car wash or selling goods, children are encouraged to stand on the street with their buckets and BEG for money. I can't imagine the message this sends to these kids.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm not against schools and such raising money. I think the fundraising drives are good ideas. As far as going door to door, my parents never let me go at it alone. They always came along and went to the door with me, or waited at the end of the driveway while I went to the door.

Thank you for your input BassChuck. I wasn't aware that some schools are actually encouraging kids not to go door to door but to have their parents get involved through their workplace.

-Mike