1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

School me on Fralin J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cstar, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    You guys have done an awfully good job of entertaining/ answering my questions so far over in the luthier's corner so I figured this would be worth a shot.

So, what is the deal with the Lindy Fraling split hum-cancelling Jazz bass pickups? I understand what it means to be hum cancelling of course, but what do these pickups sound like, say, in comparison to 62 Reissue fender pups?

Also, what about Fralin overwound pickups? What does that do for you? If they are over wound, they must be higher output and therefore louder, yes?

2. not sure about the splits, but if they are anything similar to his regular singles, there will be a midrange emphesis (overwounds will just do moreso). overall, thick full sound. raw character to them... bottom end has a slight "loose" feel to it - not as "tight" as Nordy's... but probably about the same as 62' Reissues...

There nice and all, but the 62's are just fine.

3. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    There's a guy on here back in '09 gave an extensive review on jazz pickups and his entire approach was attempting to find the absolute best jazz pickup...and he said favorite pickup was Fralin, however, is now the J45 by Mr. Bill Lawrence himself, aka: Wilde Pickups. Not to be confused with Bill Lawrence USA dot com, a guy who took his name, then marketed his own products against him.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have Fralin's Split-Jazz in an alder/maple MIA Fender, and IMO they are fantastic. They sound a little thicker in the lows than your typical vintage-voiced single coil, with lots of growl, and a less high end and "air" than a single coil. If you like your treble up full, this could be an issue, but I usually roll of the treble a bit with the Fralins as it is. I agree the lows are a little "loose," which I like because it means more growl.

I also have DiMarzio's Area J in a G&L JB. They aren't as hot, and don't sound as thick in the lows/low mids, which probably makes them more like a vintage-voiced single coil. They are excellent as well, but I prefer the slightly hotter and nastier Fralins. Truth be told, though, they're in the same general ballpark, and in a band mix I can't notice much if any difference.

5. rb1968

rb1968

Mar 5, 2008
    I installed a set of 8% overwound fralins in my MIM ash body jazz bass two weeks ago with a JZ3 audere preamp. The tone improvement is incredible. This is my first experience with Fralin, had barts, basslines, EMG, SCN fenders in other bass's but Im sold on these. Highly recommend them, I did a thorough shielding job with copper and it helped a lot as the shielding paint was half done in this bass and it was noisy with the stock fenders.