School me on Sunn Amps/Cabs...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Farfetched, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Is there a site that has a good run down of the different models that were once available. I don't really know too much about them except that they have a killer sound, were made in OR and were bought out by Fender at some point.

2. sunn.ampage.org

Start digging around the forum there, and you'll find just about everything there is to know.

3. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I had a Sunn Coliseum 300 in high school~ Every one was using their Ampeg SVT's at the time~ the SUNN was loud, clear, and light. I think a Markbass LMIII would eat it for lunch in every category though, so the good old days of bass amps are now.

4. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    There are certainly a bunch of Sunn-o-philes on that site.
    THIS is probably the most comprehensive lising of models by year that exists.

There are three era's; Sundholm '65?-'71, Hartzel '71-about '85, and then Fender. I think the last Fender Sunn was around 2000.

5. I have a Sunn Coliseum 300 that I seldom use now that I have a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0....but I absolutely love that Sunn amp!

The Coliseum is a wonderful amp - plenty of features, and 7 bands of EQ. What's unusual is that each band of EQ has its own preamp - so you have incredible control over the sound.

About 160 [email protected] 8 ohms (and it sounds louder than that), 200W @ 4 ohms, 300W @ 2 ohms.

P5150163.jpg

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021