1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

School me on the SVT Classic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by de la mocha, Dec 24, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Tell me everything you know about them. I want to hear gig stories, and also tell me why it's important to your live sound.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They're heavy! First time I hoisted one up on top of an 8x10 at a gig I ruptured a disk in my back...

Oh, and they make you sound like the God of Thunder with their midrange prowess.

3. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I've gigged around 30 times now with one and the past 4 gigs have been with an ATA flight case.

As BillyB said, they are heavy around 80lbs but they're not really that bad, could be worse. When I stuck the flight case on mine it added another 30lbs. That made it worse, it's a two man lift now but knowing that my amp is protected in transport makes it worth it.

I have mine paired with an Ampeg 810e and I played either a Jazz or PBass. If EQ'd properly they can be a punching monster. I went through quite a few solid state amps and a few tube amps when I finally stopped with this one. It has a growl and punch that I haven't found in anything else. However, I did hook this up to my Avatar 212 just to see how things would sound and I really wasn't impressed with it. It lacked punch and low end, which I contribute to it being ported where the 810 is sealed. I've read and become a believer of tube amps liking sealed cabinets.

It has been said and is true that the SVT Classic is a one trick pony, it has one sound. I find this to be fairly true, it has one sound and if you like that sound as I do, then you're golden. It has a limited EQ section but IMO who needs more than a couple knobs to adjust their EQ?

As with any gear, try it out and see if you like what you hear. They are heavy but their sound and reliability makes up for that.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It sounds like "Thunder Sex"....need I say more?

PS...quoted from another TB user;)

5. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Is it best to use it only on ampeg cabs?

6. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

Nah, as I said before I recommend sealed cabs.

I've heard that Bergantino 610 is amazing with this thing. But that's just what I've read. Go to your local shop and try some different cabs out.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    REAL SVTs sound better. :smug:

8. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Real SVTs? Explain.......

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The classic is a different amp than the orginal "real" SVT.

Different monsters, but still monsters.

10. galore

galore

May 10, 2006
    EU
    Yep, so VR is supposed to be the replica of what someone before mentioned as real SVT. But I can't tell if it's the same sounding because I haven't played old svt yet...

11. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have used mine with a Schroeder 310212 a few times, it still sounds awesome. Don't get scared off by the weight of the amp. I stayed away from one for a long time cuz I thought it'd e too much to carry. It is balanced really well and can be carted around easily. I'm not the strongest guy, either!;)