1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

School me yet again: Gluing 2 or 3 piece bodies

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Aug 1, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Hey guys,

I got some tools and I have some decent ash and I think I'm ready to make my first body! :bassist:

So: School me on gluing a two piece body. I have some well dried ash as mentioned above but it's not wide enough for a one piece so I'm going to have to make a two piece. It's plenty wide enough for that.

Any resources, tips, etc. would be highly appreciated. I would like to get rolling on this ASAP.

Thanks!!

2. Praxist

Praxist

May 28, 2010
    British Columbia
    Starting at post number 91 in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f57/s...ng-experience-855144/index5.html#post12715054 Bruce johnson, awesome luthier, shares his awesome jig. :D This one has changed my life!

i make sure that there is a good amount of glue on the surfaces but not too much or you get a bunch of drips on the glueline that need to be cleaned up. I lay mine on wax paper for glue up because it's easy to remove. You need lots of clamping pressure too, I use four large F clamps, but even then i'm not 100% that's enough. so far so good, but my oldest body is only a year old :)

3. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    It actually depends on what tools you have at hand. If you have a planer, jointer, table saw, thickness planer, your sorted. You don't need any jig. I later found the same jig Bruce posted in Martin Koch's book, which is a good book by the way. Make that jig, OR use a 2" long straight bit, a straight edge and a GOOD router to edge joint. The jig would be much better i'd imagine. The cut quality with the jig would also be much better. Best of luck :)

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Also make sure if you do use a router bit to joint, that it is sharp and fairly clean, otherwise you might get some chip out.....

5. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks guys.

Think I should be good to go, except, what kind of glue do you use? Tite bond?

6. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Oh, and what do you use to joint the pieces? I mean I suppose you use some kind of dowel? If so, do you use a dowel made of the same wood as the body? Where could I get dowels made of ash?

7. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Joint: As in any form of wood Joinery.

In this case, I was referring to a "butt" joint, Where 2 pieces of wood are trued up on one edge so that they can be "Butted" together with glue. There are so many different types of joints, I was just referring to a plain old "butt" joint.