Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

school of rock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plar, Jun 19, 2005.

1. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    what was the bass they used in the movie school of rock?

2. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    It's a DeArmond Jetstar bass I think, considering you're talking about the black one at the end, and not the hollow body.

3. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    ok cool. Does anyone know what the one used throughout the movie is? I thought it looked cool, but I have no idea what it is.

4. I'm pretty sure they used a Viola Bass..... I can't remember who makes them but I also saw that they used a Fender Pbass (i think it could of been a J)

5. wasn't it some kind of epi?

6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Yeah I think it was an Epiphone or Gibson

[​IMG]

7. Dub56

Dub56

May 28, 2005
    Kansas
    Oh. ok. you meant that bass

I was talking about the one after the battle of the bands, sorta in the credits or right before them.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The one thing that bugged me is when Jack Black says, "See, as for the bass, it's like what you were playing before, but turn it on its side and... cello! It's a bass!"

Aren't cellos tuned in fifths? I mean, come on now. How are we supposed to take that movie seriously?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not to mention no bass solo while everyone else had one...

Anyway, my girlfriend is a cellist, I'm a bassist, I can't play her thing that well and she can't play mine that well yet. It's not as simple as turning it on it's side.

Didn't some jazz guy tune a bass like a cello?

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I remember reading in interview with Tony Levin where he was talking about how he played cello and bass on one of his solo albums, and there are some outtakes of him playing bass but thinking he was still in fifths.

Not that that has anything to do with anything.

11. a tenor bass is almost like a cello on its side, only an octave lower, and she didnt have a bass solo bcuz she can't play bass, didn't you noitce how she couldnt have been playing the bass line bassed on how here fingers fwere for some songs? i did

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ha ha! Wait, that is something I would do :meh:

I wish I had a dollar for each time at practice I have tuned down to drop D, then wondered why the next song sounded wrong :scowl:

13. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    I dont Know, somthing about the bridge work and Veri tone switch is Screaming Hofner or Harmony, sort of like what what Stu...(name escapes me) played with the beatles before paul took over bass......Sutclife!!!!!!

14. Plaster

Plaster

May 17, 2005
    By the by, if you turn on the 'Kids commentary' on school of rock, you can hear the following conversation.

"One of the music kids" So, have you ever played bass before?

"Bass girl" No, I only play guitar, but bass only has 4 strings, it's alot easier then guitar.

Grrrr....

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    we were willing to accept that an imposter could just waltz into a $15k a year private elementary school, use all of the class time for band practice, teach kids how to adapt to their new instruments in a few days' time, and not get caught immediately.

but this? this is too much!

;) :D

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    We're not

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If you want to see the real deal then either find the recent movie/documentary on the Paul Green School of Rock Music out of Philly, or better yet catch the PGSORM live. I saw their Zappa band in NYC last fall and saw the vid of them playing at Zappanale Festival in Germany in '03 and they are the real deal.

Linky!

Their Zappa and Pink Floyd units are like the "master class" bands from what I can tell. The kids that show that they can handle the simpler stuff and want to continue to be challenged can try out for these bands. Where was this kind of place when I was a kid?

BTW, these kids are completely anti-poser. The Zappa show I saw last year didn't pull any punches. Hard ass material played with skill and enthusiasm.

- Oh - Paul Green comes off like a jerk. Most band directors do.

18. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Wrong

Thank you for playing

The Bass shown the most is an early sixties Framus Star
    A.K.A. "The Rolling Stones Bass."

Observe and Learn, Kiddies:

Here's a shot of the Bass in the Movie -

[​IMG]

Here's the Bass -

[​IMG]

Notice the Framus logo.

[​IMG]
    Bill with a later model 2 p'up Framus Star.

19. hehe, you should get another girlfriend! ;)

mike manring tunes his basses like a cello.

20. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey,

Kind of off topic from original thread but, I know Ray Brown and Percy Heath tuned cellos to EADG to make it an acoustic piccolo bass.

TMWPB