1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

School of rock

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderx55, May 5, 2006.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    It's on TV right now (in ny anyway)...anyone else completley pissed off at how he treats the bass (like a cello?) I mean, love the dude otherwise. I guess it's just the role he's playing.

Back to your lives.

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do a search, yo. :)

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeahhhhhhhh I know... I just felt like bitching lol.

4. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    The cello handles the bass in the song "Eleanor Rigby."

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    It's an entertaining movie regardless. :)

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The girl plays the cello, he's making the comparison for the girl's benefit. Besides, they are playing stupid rock, and stupid rock calls for root note bass.

And if this movie pisses you off that much, I'd concern myself with better things... maybe practicing, getting really good, and showing what the bass can do....

7. ...except cellos are tuned in fifths. Could get confusing. It is a great movie anyway though.

8. Yeah, funny movie, but that scene was a little biased. But even if it was, it made me laugh.
    "What's that big stand-up thing you were playing yesterday?"
    "A Cello?
    "RIGHT, well, turn it on it's side and CELLOOOO, you got a bass!"

9. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I assume you are talking about the Jack Black movie, "School of Rock" but A&E had another documentary on cable last week that blew my socks off about a "real school of rock run by an adult guitarist who works with teenagers and even much younger kids and whips them into shape to play in Europe in a Frank Zappa tribute competition which they win!!!

Now this guy is mean. He is no Jack Black. He is insulting, impatient. He screams at his students. He uses so much profanity. He throws things. He kicks stuff. He slams doors. He is explosive and tempermental, but he gets those kids trained.

I found the documentary disturbing. I mean what price did those kids pay to become so much better than they would ever have been outherwise? This guy was a straight up verbal abuser. He had to bruise some tender egos pretty bad.

If you guys have a chance to see this, give it a shot. You might learn something from it about how hard one must work and how serious one has to be to play in the big leagues of music. He toughened those kids up, but he had to have done some damage too. I don't know.

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Sounds like a waste of money to me. I'd rather enjoy my instrument than be good at it.

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I saw that. The childrens preformances were terrible and he's a terrible teacher. With all the money the kids probably paid they could have gotten propper teachers.

12. Yea I saw that and noticed that he may have been a bit stern at times. I think he just has a great passion for his work and wants to see the children succeed!

:bag:

13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    +1

The first time I saw that movie was such a letdown. I went to like 3 concerts that week and none of them had any bass solos. I dont know why, but I was sort of hoping the girl would at least get a crappy bass solo.. but nothing! ::shakes head::

14. ...there's a scene in the movie though where the kids ask "Mr. S" to sing his song to them (probably my favourite scene, along with the one where that 10-year old is playing AC/DC and the teacher head-bangs along to it :D ), and so he does, including singing the bass solo the girl later would play. And that bit was just being omitted when editing the movie... (BLAH!!) ;)

By the way, was that a Hofner she was playing?

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Big deal. It's a comedy movie. I don't think it is going to change how people who don't play bass feel about people who do.

-Mike

16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Smartest thing I've read all day!

17. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Who else stayed 'til after the credits were over to see if the girl would get her chance to solo? I bet she was more pissed than we are lol. I loved that movie though, Jack Black's the man. Anybody see Nacho Libre?

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Uhhhh...it's a movie, people. A comedy, too. I suppose you are the people bitching that Superman isn't very realistic? C'mon...it's Hollywood.

Furthermore, I'm suprised that a Bass is even mentioned. I know plenty of "regular joes" that don't even know what a bass is!

19. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    True, true, I have to agree. My girlfriend still thinks I play the guitar.

20. It's crap. I knew it was crap before I saw it, and when I saw it it was confirmed in my head that it was crap. If producers would actually be real with ANY topic at all, and bring some reality to the situation, I would be happy.