Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

school performance

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by vince_j, Feb 11, 2003.

1. vince_j

vince_j

Feb 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    hi.

im at school and for my music class i have to do a couple of bass performances, like solo things, and i was wondering if any of you guys had anything that i could play?

thanx

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...school kids are generally only interested in who sLaPs aNd PoPs the fastest.

I would recommend something by Victor Wooten, maybe "overjoyed" thats pretty straightforward song, and it sounds great....of course you could always right your own song that is solo bass oriented. check out my latest recording, Its not finished yet, but thats the solo bass song I'm writing right nowUnfinished Harmonic song
    :D

whatever you do, do it with confidence and you'll be fine.

3. Tap the Star Wars Theme!

Or if your not a tapper you can play "Amazing Grace" in harmonics (Listen to #1 on the Live Art disc 2 by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, its not that hard but sounds awesome)

Or if you wannabe a slap & popper id say "AeroPlane" By the RHCP.

Or (I swear this is the last one) YOu can play "Donna Lee" or "Teen Town" By Jaco Pastorius.

Any of these will wow your non-bass playing classmates (of course the guitar player will say "I can do that");)

4. vince_j

vince_j

Feb 8, 2003
    New Zealand
    thanx guys

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I second "donna lee" it will definatly get a good response. I think that "donna lee" should be required learning for all bassists.