1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

School Project:p

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TheEnergy, May 1, 2010.

1. TheEnergy

TheEnergy

Feb 23, 2010
    i have school project...to build bass/guitar...but i have something odd....i don't know much about woods...so can you all help me;)?like the characteristic of the wood and where's the origin of the wood...thx b4

2. Well, you could start off by pointing out that it originates from trees :p

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonewood

Do you have to build from scratch - cutting the body out of a slab, shaping the neck, etc. or could you assemble from a kit? There are quite a few companies that offer solid-body electric guitar and bass kits (the easiest to assemble). If you want to go acoustic you might look at Stewart-McDonald www.stewmac.com.

4. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
  5. TheEnergy

TheEnergy

Feb 23, 2010
    i plan for using wenge for neck...and ebony or birdseye maple for fretboard but i haven't know yet for the body:( any recommendation?i'm looking for exotic wood;) and quilted redwood on the top,and i have to think about the electronic*sigh*did you guys have a complete website about wiring diagram of bass guitar?

6. TheEnergy

TheEnergy

Feb 23, 2010
  7. Nope, I bought the hardcover copy of it.

8. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    No offense to you, but that is one of the worst wiki pages I've read.

To the OP, there is no substitute for reading and research. As a former high school counsellor, may I respectfully suggest that you choose a topic for your project that you are already familiar with? If you don't know anything about the construction of guitars or the properties of wood, or how to research this, you just may be biting off more than you can reasonably chew in order to spit out something worthy of an "A"...