Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

School project-Please Help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Rob Sleeper, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Hi everyone I am doing a job project/speech and part of it entails an interveiw. I would like to be a bassist in one of Americas major symphony orchestras. Can you guys answer a couple questions for me?

1. What are some major job responsibilites?
    2. What are the working conditions?
    3. What education is needed for the job?
    4 What is the employment outlook for this feild?

Thank you soooo much everyone! This is all I need and will be done.
    Thanks again,
    Rob Sleeper

2. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Before a bunch of grumpy-assed middle-aged bassists jump all over it, let me point out, Rob, with great respect, that it's "I before E except after C." Make peace with your Meyer sig and everyone else working in this field.

Other than that, I'm a non-orchestral guy who really can't help you at all. Don't you love TalkBass?

3. I'm not going to do your homework for you, but I can probably offer an idea:

1. Practicing and knowing required music, preparedness for rehearsals and concerts, general upkeep of instrument and technique.

2. Early morning rehearsals, often lasting between 3 and 6 hours. Up to four performances a week. Working most weekends, but you'll probably get plenty of vacation time.

3. At least a BA in music performance. Some people are able to get jobs without finishing college, while many more go on to receive an MA before winning a job.

4. Relatively speaking, there are only a handful of jobs available at any given time. Often with as many as 200 or 300 applicants for one position, the outlook isn't so great.

4. Rob Sleeper

Rob Sleeper

Oct 13, 2005
    Chicago
  5. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    How about cost for a major symphony quality instrument?

How many other professions require such an investment?

FWIW,
    BG

6. The instrument isn't the only cost. Consider the tuxedo, the bow, strings, miscellaneous supplies, sheet music, electronics, instrument upkeep/repair, travel costs (bass specific), and so on. Add all together and it would seem like you're not making any money at all.

7. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well, in many cases, the investment compares to investing in a small business, which is essentially what you're doing when you make the decision to "make a living" playing music!

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Or a non-profit organization.