school project with old amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heelflip86, May 24, 2002.

1. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    hey everyone, im doing a electrical project for school, the amp im using is a crate DLX50BX its a crate with the built in tuner, and whenever i plug in a external speaker the speaker inside the crate will shut off, i know its because its 4ohms and its not safe for it to stay on, but its for school and i already got a new amp and cabinet for my b-day, so throwing away the thought of the amp getting hurt cause it doesnt matter anymore, is there anywires on the inside of the crate combo amp that i can snip so that that whenever i plug in a external speaker it wont shut off, its for a school project
  2. I'm not sure about that...
    Most combo's are like that when you plug in an external speaker, tho..
  3. The jack is a switching jack. When you insert the plug, it throws a switch on the jack to disconnect the speaker. Solder around that switch, and the on-board speaker will continue to play. You'll fry the amp if you play it at any kind of volume with a load that is too low (less than 4 ohms).

4. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    thanks guys, you sure aboot it being a "switching jack"? im not saying your wrong, i just never heard of that before,,have you tried this before??? or could i just buy a different jack and install it???
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The jack is an ordinary jack, it's the circuit before it.
  6. [​IMG]

Switching jacks are #1 and #3, for all you non-believers. See how the bent contact will move away from that little inner contact when a plug is inserted? That's how plugging in the extra speaker turns off the internal speaker.

Chris (I build amps.)
  7. You'll put your eye out kid.
  8. heelflip86

May 17, 2001
    lol, seriously though, have any of you guys/girls done this before??