Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

School talent show

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My high school talent show was today. I took part in a combo consisting of bass(me), drums, congas, keyboard, tenor and alto sax, and guitar and we played...... THE CHICKEN. Out of all the acts we got the loudest and craziest cheering. Everybody said we were sweet. It was so exciting it was absolutely insane. By the end of our performance I was shaking from being so pumped. Unfortunately, we only placed 2nd because somebody had done an original song and played acoustic guitar and sang, though I (and many others) think we should have gotten first =P. The second place reward is 50 dollars so we each get about 7. We like our combo so much we're thinking about maybe eventually gigging it.

2. Man thats awesome. I especially love that you played The Chicken at a school talent show. At all the Battle of the Bands at my old school the kids all played are Emo-punk and Deftones-like rock, thats it.

Me, a drummer and a Guitarist were going to play "Para Oriente" By Tony williams and Jaco Pastorius about 2 years ago, but I was the only one to show up that night because the drummer and guitarist bailed out on me at the last second. It sucked HARDCORE!!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My bass playing career started out almost exactly like this. I say almost because our combo came first, but hey, second if a great result. Keep it going, you'll never look back.

4. at least you made 2nd. that is cool. you still placed high up there. good for you. :D

5. Now that I look back at your post Eskimo, What did the Guitarist and Keyboard player do? Since there was neither of them in The original recording. Im interested in hearing about it.

6. You mean you placed 2nd behind a guy alone strumming his guitar? Is the jury on those contests always consist of complete jerks who shed a tear everytime they hear a whiny acoustic ballad? :confused: :mad:

Congratulations, I'm sure your band deserved the 1st place! :bassist:

7. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Our keyboard and guitarist mainly did comping- we could have done without the keyboard but she's a nice girl that we usually include in combos cause she's our jazz band pianist. Our guitarist had the wah going on and he took a heck of a mother funkin' solo. It was all good.