Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schools in New York

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cosmicevan, May 2, 2003.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Hi, I've become very interested in repairing and luthery and have been reading as many of the suggested readings and watching hours of dvds and videos on repair and buildeing (dan erlewine is the MAN!)...and the most important thing seems to be some hands on action. I have a few old garage sale fixer-uppers that i'd like to begin experimenting on, but before I do, I'd really like to take some classes on repair, woodworking, and even luthery. Where in New York can I find this? I've browsed websites for colleges and done tons of internet searches, but I can't seem to find anything remotely close to what I'm looking for (and I am willing to enroll in some classes at esteemed schools).

Please let me know of any metro-area New York, LI, lower hudson valley schools that I should look at...or better yet, people that may be willing to offer an apprenticeship!

Thanks,
    Evan
    evanmeyers@yahoo.com

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I was curious about the same thing, and was also curious about the Sadowsky pre-amp so I sent an e-mail to Roger, and this was his reply:

There are no schools around here.

Check out this resource:

http://www.luth.org/learning.htm

Best regards,

Roger Sadowsky