Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schools Jazz Band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SixString, Oct 4, 2002.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Hey, I recently got picked for the bassist in my school jazz band. (they only pick one, and i was up against a bassist with 4 years more experience but was a punk bassist) we'r playing the chicken By Jaco!@!
    Anyway, I wondering who else here is in a schools jazz band, how many bassist are in it (this is the first year where we only picked one bassist) and whats songs are you guys playing? I go to Father Judge high School

2. I really wish our music/band teacher had better taste in music. I'm in my schools Jazz Band and we're doing "Shiny Stockings", "Moondance (at least theres one good song out of the bunch)" and "God ye rest his merry men" in a swinged up version.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    How can you get better taste for big band than "shiny stockings"?!?! Basie is the king[/i] of big band.

You just need to develop your understanding of the genre.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Back when I was a Senior in High School. That was the first year we seriously had a Jazz Band. I was the only bassist in the band. (I think I was the only serious bassist in the school, at least that I knew about) We really didn't play much "true Jazz". It was more like jump blues type of stuff like Zoot Suit Riot, Sing Sing Sing, and the like. We also did some rock/pop songs like Smoke on the Water and a Bread tune I remember.

I wasn't the greatest at reading standard notation back then. I guess I was just to lazy back then to seriously learn it. (I could read music, but wasn't exactly great with the bass clef back then)

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh...you guys all have it awesome compared to my HS jazz band experience. I decided to join the jazz band without knowing what they were going to play. It was the first year they had a jazz band there. I promptly quit and left them bassless when I found out that the tune that they were going to learn for the "big talent show" was the oft-played jazz standard by Bryan Adams "Everything I Do I Do it For You." (this was back in 92 or so) Personally I was wondering why they were calling it a "jazz band." "Muzac Band" seemed a much more fitting title. Ugh..

brad cook

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whoa, cool! you get to play "the chicken"!

as for me...well, my high school's jazz band is "rebuilding." rebuilding as in our best musicians graduated last year. rebuilding as in we have about 10 kids in the class, none of whom play the trombone. rebuilding as in we have a new band director (making this the third band director i've had in three years). rebuilding as in we spent just about every class this week doing non-jazz class related **** (eg-today we cleaned the bandroom).

and it's pathetic, considering how good we were my freshman and (to a lesser extent) sophomore years.

[shakes head in disbelief]

7. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    im in the jazz band too. i went up against another bass player, but he has no style. he plays a bunch of instruments, and picked up the bass just so he can say that he does play. he can play off of paper, but can not solo or play in different styles or just groove. so needless to say,im the bassist. we have a very good jazz program, its been strong for a couple decades. we're in marching season now, so we didnt begin working on this years set list. but typically its just real good, old fashioned jazz. i cant complain!

8. he told us he really didn't listen to it. just picked it out of the bunch, because last year we didn't do a standard. Now don't get me wrong, i bet Shiny Stockings would sound great with a big band, but with 3 trumpets, 3 saxaphones, a keyboardist and rhythm section, we really don't have much to work with

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    We have two jazz bands at my school, one in each. Right now we just have a bunch of music in our folders, mainly playing around 6 songs we'll probably play at the next concert. Some of them are Birdland (Weather Report), Zoot Suite Riot (Cherry Poppin' Daddies), Four (Miles Davis), The Jetsons Theme, and A New Day For You (Basia)

I think were only gonna be playing one, maybe two of those at our next concert though. (Zoot Suite Riot and maybe Four)

10. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Last year we palyed bird land and zoot suit riot. Yeah we still have osme corny osngs to paly though like "slay ride" and wer palying mighty mgihty bosstones impresion that i get

11. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm the lead bass player in my school pep band. We play mostly old soul tunes, along with some songs you might know from basketball games. Here's our lineup:

Whistlestop
    Low Rider
    Soulfinger
    Can't Turn you Loose
    All Day and All Night
    Soul Man
    Peter Gunn
    Theme from "Shaft"
    Birdland
    Hey
    along with some blues jams.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    snip::Muzac Band :: snip
    We get the Muzak CDs at work [i work @ spencer gifts] & man do they suck [imo] most of the time. Back to the topic. I'm the main bass player in the music department here. this year in jazz band we have a guitarist so we're playing more or less more horn rock stuff. The songs that i can remember are:
    Josie-Steely Dan
    Go Down Gamblin & Lucy Mac-Blood Sweat & Tears
    US
    Manix
    Undecided
    Notorious Tourist from the East [really hard IMO]
    witchcraft
    and some more songs that i can't remember.

I've been told by a few people in show band [what other schools call pep band] we do have an arrangement of birdland that i'm gonna check that binder for so maybe i can talk the director into letting @ least a few of us play it. My drummer didn't know who Jaco or Weather Report was so conveintly i had my 8:30 CD [humor me, i'm 16] and gave him a listen to birdland, and black market followed by Come on Come Over from the Jaco Pastrious CD. thats all

Links to my bands webpage
    www.jeffbands.org
    www.firsteditionchoir.org
    or the Indiana Marching Website
    www.indianamarching.com

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    We had Birdland, a bunch of Chuck Mangione charts, some SpyroGyra(sp?) stuff, a few old standards and some some surprisingly difficult arrangements of a few pop/rock tunes. Hey it was 1980.

Kid Charlemagne was HARD to read. So I cheated and got the Steely Dan record and learned Chuck Raineys part on the record by ear. It wasn't exactly the one on the page but it was pretty close.

Strangely enough, some of the lamest records led to some of the coolest grooves off of the page. I am specifically remembering Mangiones 'Land of Make Believe' here. The version you can probably still buy was DULLdulldulldull... , But when we did it in class it kind of ...well... rocked. Same with 'Children of Sanchez'.

I know. It still confuses me.

I think the coolest thing we did was 'Gawain and the Green Knight' , especially cool with a bass-and-flute soli near the end. Big fun.

The lamest thing we had to do was play at the Chamber of Commerce luncheon. Our director took all the Basie, Ellington, Mangione, Metheny, etc... charts away a week before the lunch gig and replaced them with REALLY watered down pop tunes. And for extra wierdness Michelle, the keyboardist and I were asked to sing while we did some of the tunes. I had to do Billy Joels 'Just the Way You Are'. Michelle and I had to do 'Endless Love'.

Yes. You understand I see. We were forced to be live elevator music.

I still wake up in a sweat picturing that as a career.

When you younger guys hope to make music a career...remember to hope SPECIFICALLY ;-b

14. Socks

Socks Guest

I'm in the jazz band at my HS too.. being the one and only that is truly a jazz bassist in the entire school, might I add. No-one else was interested. The Band Leader's my music theory teacher who's a Buddy Rich wannabe, but we've only played "Mercy Mercy Mercy" in terms of BR songs. Here's some other stuff we play if your interested:

So What (Miles Davis)
    Take The "A" Train (The Duke)
    'Swonderful (Ella)
    River Deep Mountain High
    Struttin' With Maria AND:
    Take Five (Dave Brubeck)

I SO want to play Birdland, but Patrick (Band Leader) doesn't seem too keen. Don't have enough brass, he says. Oh well.

So there. It's pretty cool; start listenin to jazz and you'll find it's not as boring as some homie-gee's make it out to be.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    snip::Take Five (Dave Brubeck) ::snip::

We're playing Brubeck stuff for our marching band show. Lots of fun time signitures. thats all

16. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i too am in my high school jazz band, and i'm a senior. after reading some of these posts, i feel as though i have it great. our school, Cherokee High School, has one of the better music programs around. our director really pushes us to be the best we can be. we're a really big band, not really any problems filling in the spots when seniors graduate. our tombone setion is number 1 in the state, they're really good. and since our director is so much into jazz, we only play really cool tunes and a lot of old standards. each year we get a big folder of music and then we have about 6 we play a lot. and 3 of those we se in competition, we're really competitive we've made it to state championships for the last 21 years!

but right now we're in marching band season so we won't be playing jazz stuff until december.

sorry if it seemed as though i was bragging, i'm proud to be in this music program.

-jimbo

17. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah birdland is a great tune, this years big one for bass is the chicken liek i said, next year is already picked out my band director let me choose a song so i picked So what! :p picked out a nice aragement too

I wish my school had a better horn section. I playd trumpet in jazz band last year (suprising how many trumpet players turn around and play bass) But this year i was asked to try out for bass and made itgonna be a good jazz year its our first year compeating in awile Go Father Judge! :p

18. I'm in our high school band, it's a big band more than a jazz band really. We are fairly good, I think because it's not just a music class playing because we have to. I only started out on the bass (for the band, that is) about halfway through the year, because they old player is in year 12 and finishing school, so I wanted some time to play with her as well to get the feel of the band and stuff. It's kind of scary, because the rest of the band are in yr 10 - 12 and I'm only in yr 8. So yeah, SixString, there's only the one bassist in our band ususally.
    We play mostly Ed Wilson arrangements of all sorts of songs, it's good because our numbers are doing well - 5 trumpets, one trombone (but she's good), two alto saxes, two tenors, a bari, a keyboardist, bassist and drummer. And a conductor. So we can play most things. Anyways, here's a list of our regular 'gig songs', does anyone else play any of these in their band?:

Kakadu - Ed Wilson
    A strange sort of piece, begins and ends with a bass solo. :) Sounds pretty cool

Leave Us Sleep - Ed Wilson
    Fairly hard but majorly cool sounding bass line

Carnival Del Soul - James Swearingen
    Mad piece with a Latin sort of feel. And a cool drum solo

Ease On In - James Morrison

Fair Dinkum Blues - Ed Wilson
    :rolleyes: Enough said.

Freddie Freeloader - Miles Davis (arrangement Michael Sweeney)
    Long.

Hey Jude - Beatles (arr. Ed Wilson)
    Good piece for the trom.

Lady Madonna - Beatles (arr. Ed Wilson)
    Just a good song.

Orange Coloured Sky - Ed Wilson arrangement
    Fairly good tenor sax solo.

Straighten Up and Fly Right - Ed Wilson
    Pretty good.

And finally, we usually close with this one, we all love it:

The Stripper!!!! arr. Ed Wilson, surprise, surprise.
    A great song! Everytime we play it, we expect a Vegas girl to come waltzing in! (Well, not techinically waltzing, the piece is in common time). And it gets slower and slower everytime we play it.

Well that's about our usual set list, sorry to bore you writing about the songs, but I like to do that:( If anyone else plays these songs, it'd be really good to hear from you!

19. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    Im in my college jazz ensamble, we have a nice big band consisting of 5 trumpets, 4 bones, 2 alto, 2 tenor and 1 bari, keys, bass and tubs(we are all music majors as well)...we are playing lots of fun tunes. My favorite tune is Fables of Faubus - Charles Mingus. great tune and very funny. we are also play Four and All Blues. peace
    Chad

20. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I didn't put it in my other posts & i thought i'd just put it in a new one so here's what my band has:

5 trumpets
    5 trombones [including 1 bass trombone]
    5 saxes [2 tenor, 2 alto, 1 bari]
    piano
    drums
    guitar
    bass guitar/string bass [me]
    director: mr.knepper