1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroder 1210 or 21012 vs Epiafni UL 310

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SirFunk, May 5, 2006.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi there.

I'm currently looking for a bigger cab for gigs with my rock band and jazz/funk band. Right now i have a EA iamp 500 head and a EA wizzy 12" cab. It does the job and sounds nice for a 12" cab, The EA amp gets pretty boomy at loud volumes though.

I'm wondering how these cabs compare. I've heard a lot of people compare the Schroder 1210 to the UL 310? Is it really as loud? The 21012 is closer in price to the UL310 is that a better comparison?

Also how does the sound of these amps compare? I've heard the Schroders have clearer high end then the epifanis? I'll be mainly using these with my Elrick 5-string but has anyone used either of these with upright?

I'm surprised by how many people seem to love the 1210 and loud/clear/punchy people claim from such a small cabinet.

Any info from anyone experianced with these cabinets would appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Having owned the 1210, I can tell you it is the real deal, and lives up to every bit of hype you've heard. I currently have a 410 and will more than likely be picking up maybe a 21012L this summer.

However some people don't like "loud" from a small box. I've heard that complaint more than once. However, if you're looking for pure volume and the ability to cut through, nothing, not an Epi or a mighty Accu can rock it like a Schro! :)

I have heard though tons of props about the 310 box. I'd like to try one out someday and see what's up with them though.

I played rock with a 1210 and SVT-III Pro for about 6 months and it was a great setup. Doesn't get much more portable than that!

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've played through a 1212R, 1210R, and UL-310, tho admittedly none in a live setting.

To my ears, the UL-310 sounded the "sweetest" by far. I'm seriously GAS'n for one of those someday.

However, that said, I love the ability of the Schroeders to just destroy everything in their path, and do so without being so thick they don't sound good. I'm also GAS'n hard for a 21012L.

I'm guessing in a live setting, the Schro's will cut the best, as that's their specialty, but I think the UL-310 will always sound "nicer". I guess it all depends on how abusive your stage mix is. :)

*argh* I HATE GAS!!!! :)

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Well, with that new rad power amp you just got, I think a Schro would be in line! ;)

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Or a pair... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah my ideal would be a 310212L... Hot, hot stuff. As soon as my band gets a trailer, this is probably what I'm picking up. That much cab for how much my 410R weighs? Nuts, I tell you- nuts!!

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
  8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I know, I've looked at it more than once. I'm just crazy dirt poor right now. Too many irons in the fire... just trying to get my head above water right now or I'd be ALL over that... seriously.