Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Schroed Case" finally I'm almost finished

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CrackBass, Feb 7, 2006.

1. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    Well I've finally had some time to start construction on my whole rig road case. i just lack the doors and handles. everything is secured internally in case of a tip over. now i can just roll on the trailer and roll on stage then back to the trailer and out. the whole thing is pretty heavy but not as heavy as you might think. my best guess is about 130 pounds. still much lighter than an 810 or such. oh and the rack is removable via one wingnut. i don't anticipate taking it out much as this is the rig that i bring to 90% of my gigs these days. the case pictured beside it is the same one i posted about 2 weeks ago. it has a marshall and a genz benz g-flex 212. as you can see it now has lockable front and back doors. (mine soon to follow suit). i realize that it might not be everybody's cup of tea but it fullfills my needs. just thought i would show it off a bit and see what everybody thought.
    [​IMG]

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    My god! Does that diamond plating add a lot of weight or what?? It looks wicked! I bet you could drop a wrecking ball on it and it wouldn't leave a scratch. :D sweeeeeeeet

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    photoshop is your friend

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sorry I don't have a 3200x2400 monitor and a T-1 connection at home.

5. [​IMG]

6. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    thanks for the resize todd i just replaced my old pic with your new one. when it comes to computers my kung fu is not that strong.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh, much better...
    and holy crap, that's nice! looks natural disaster proof.

where do you work that you can make such a fine box?

8. Industrial! From what I'v seen, it's a really well done case, congrats on your metal working skill. Is that a mig weld I see on the side? Or was it all rivited?

9. Nope, no weld. My eyes aren't what they were, I should really wear my bi-focals when I'm online! Great job!;)

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Here's one that shows more (well, unless you are interested in the garbage bin) and is about the same in Kb.

[​IMG]

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That sho-nuff looks bomb proof, nice work.
    I'm real glad I don't have to move it;)

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Dude, great job!!!

I just wouldn't want to move it!!;)

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nice! It's like a combo... but not like one at all.

14. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Oooo, neato!

15. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    actually it rolls great. right off the trailer, on stage, plug and play. i'm just tired of having to worry about my gear (especially the schroeder) getting scuffed up. since my buddy made one i kinda had to make one for my rig. i wouldn't want my rig jammed up against his road case naked.

seriously its not as heavy as everyone thinks. i haven't weighed it but i'm guessing around 130 pounds total. plus it locks. (or it will when i get the doors done) if i ever have to leave my rig somewhere and i don't want anyone messing with it. this is my rig for 90% of the gigs i do so it's easier for me to have it all together. the other odd 10% i'll be going thru the di on the eden. one wingnut and the rack comes out.

i'm sure it's not everybody's cup of tea for sure, but it fits my personal needs, and protects my gear.

as if this wasn't crazy enough i also have a 215 that i may diamond plate just to carry to the odd outside/ etremely large stage gig. mostly for looks. maby if i have enough time to spare and feel like putting forth the effort. i actually had the forethought to make the schroed case the same height as the 215 so if i did it they would look really good sitting side by side. being a contractor does have its advantages.

btw bassman you have to tig aluminium it won't mig very well. if you look close you can see our miller 250dx way in the back, but the exterior was all rivited with construction adhesive under the metal to keep anything from rattling.

16. I beg to differ CrackBass, I mig welded aluminum for 10 years assembling pontoon tubes (.075 & .080 thickness mostly) that not only had to look nice, but be airtight as well! With the right pulse welder (and argon sheilding, thats the trick, it displaces the oxygen). I could lay a bead as nice as a tig any day. (Except for really thin material). Production welding like that really took it's toll on my eyesight though.

17. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    ok man you got me. but for most non production settings, tig is the way to go. i would never try to weld aluminum with my millermatic 210 even if i had a spoolgun and was running straight argon. i have a hard enough time with my tig machine. but for the record i stand corrected.

18. I've always likened aluminum welding to music, it's definitely an art, not a science!:p