Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder 1210 or Ampeg 8x10 ?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FumandoV, Dec 12, 2004.

1. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I have a difficult choice to make. Never played either of them so I'll let you guys convince me. I look for punch and thickness. Their both rated for 800 watt range but one has 6 speakers more than the other. Help, I dont know sh**.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey FumandoV,

I'm sure someone can do a LOT better job at explaining, but I thought I'd give it my own personal take anyway...

They are pretty much two cabs that aren't really supposed to be interchanged with one another. Totally different worlds actually.

Ampeg 8x10: LOUD, HEAVY, HUGE. For when you want to cause destruction. Or if you are just looking for a lot of volume and super punch and lows in a nice, refrigerator size package. Stadium gig, anyone?

Schroeder 1210: Lightweight, compact, pretty loud (as compared to say a 2x10 or even some 4x10's. For the kind of portability lots of working musicians need to play from intimate gigs to even playing large venues and stages.

As much as I love the Schroeder 1210, you might have to get a pair to compete fairly with an Ampeg 8x10. But even that is an great accomplishment on the part of the Schroeder within itself and is a testament to it's efficiency and design.

If you got roadies and/or a van and don't mind the weight and hulk of an 8x10, then by all means. Oh, and you might blow the first few rows of people away at those small shows. If you want portability, volume for medium to large clubs and stages, and you can stick a pair in your back seat with room for a couple of basses and other gear, go for the Schroeder.

Sorry if that was confusing. It's kind of an apples to oranges (apples to alligators even!) type of comparison.

Now that Schroeder 3101212 vs Ampeg 8x10...now THAT should be interesting... :eek:

-T

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Apples and oranges. You are going to get more volume with the 8x10, and a totally different sound with each. I suggest you try to find an Amped 8x10 to play through, and then perhaps ANY 2x12, and you'll know what I'm talking about - totally different character in sound between the two beasts.

4. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    How much air do you want to move? If you think about the area of 1 12" circle and 1 10" circle versus 8 10" circles, (of course cones have more area than a flat circle, but the relationship is similar) then it is easy to see which will move more air.

As Transverz pointed out, portability is another big issue. Do you have a roadie - or if not a van? If not, I don't think an 810 will fit in the back seat of most cars - whereas the 1210 will probably fit in your trunk.

For punch, bottom end and a *big* sound, the 810 will do a better job - but if you are playing a small stage and/or bad room, the 1210 will 1) fit and 2) cut through the mix like butter.

The tonal pallets are also dramatically different - so that is another consideration.

Are you playing rock, punk, alt. rock and/or blues? I love the Ampegs for those genres.

You might want to consider 2 410 Ampeg cabs - or even start with one and see if you need to add another.

Either way you are looking at good gear, so it all comes down to your requirements for portability, the type of music you play and (most importantly) what you want to hear in the mix.

Good luck.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I played my 1212 against a 810 classic twice now.

I was in a sound deadened 16' x 20' practice room with (2) 2x15 2-way PA towers and (2) 1x12 2-way monitors, a typical drummer and a VERY midranged, VERY loud, Mostly non distorted guitarist playing an Alembic thru a Mesa 100watt 2x12 combo.

I could not get the 8x10 any louder then my 1212 in the room. But I ran both with volume to spare. After switching every song between the 2, the guitarist pointed at the 1212 and said "Just plug into the good one". I've said before and I'll say again, I *feel* *IMO/E* that my 1210 or 1212 will do what a standard 2x10 + 1x15 will. But in a large room or outside an 810 will be louder then the 1210.

now my 1210 AND 1212 together.... the 810 is no match.

also, the 810 is a sealed box and the Schroeders are ported. they sound completely different. I prefer the open and fuller sound of the ported cabinets.

6. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    I see more clearly now. I have 2 15's which i'm making a enclosure for 'em, will this help the Schroeder obtain that missing note? I just feel the ampeg is two damn big for me only to haul. And if you play in a larger than normal gig there's always a sound tech guy with his equipment. I'm leaning towards the 1210.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    either my 1210 OR my 1212 covers 95% of the gigs / stages I'll hit in the unforseeable future. I run both together but turned down to match the same volume I was at with just one. I know I've got enough rig to cover ANY stage or band I'll meet.

They aren't for everyone.... try to play through as many cabinets as you can. :bassist:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Just as a side note -- bassjam also has one 1210 and one 1212 and he told me that the 1212 could get significantly louder than the 1210 (he's running them with a Stewart World 2.1 power amp). The 1210 can get a lot louder than any cab close to its size that I've heard, so that's saying something for the 1212.

Note back to FumandoV, the 1210 does have plenty of low end (at least down to 31Hz), a thick, yet defined bottom and very punchy upper-bass & lower-mid-bass. The 1212 has some punch also, but not to the degree of the 1210, it's a rounder sound up through the mid-bass.

Hope that helps.

9. Keep in mind that an Ampeg cab has a VERY distinct sound...I've not played any other cabs that can really re-produce their tone. If you love the Ampeg sound but don't like the size of the 8x10, try out an SVT-410HLF. They are much smaller and can put out a lot of volume. Your best bet is to first try the Ampeg and see if you love the tone or not. Then start looking for something else if the tone doesn't suit you. I only suggest this because there are alot of bassists that the Ampeg tone works best for - I'm one of them and I spent a ton of money over the years w/ various other brands when the Ampeg tone was all I was looking for.

10. FumandoV

FumandoV

Nov 13, 2004
    Puerto Rico
    It's all true. The ampeg sound is good but I'm looking more for a hi-fi sound.

11. Its the size of a Refrigerator!

Which one do YOU think will get carried around and used more?

12. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    have any of you played jorg's 3101212 or his 410 cab? What kind of lowend sound do they get? Deep and fat, or punchy and defined?

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I'm pretty sure the 3101212 is still in development.
    I have a Schro 410 and it does lows extremely well (haven't tested it below 31Hz).
    Deep, punchy, and defined, yes. -- fat? Not what I would call fat, but very powerful.