Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder 1210 or Epifani T210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Aug 13, 2005.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have the option of purchasing either right now at a fair price. I currently have a Schroeder 310212 as well as two Schroeder 410s on the way (big and bigger rigs).

I'm looking for something small and transparent for more recording/jazz/modern sounds. This rig would involve my AI Focus.

I've never tried an Epifani, but I hear they are the thing for flat response. I plan on getting an EUB at some point and I'd like this to be the rig for it. How do you think the T210 will compare to the 1210 in volume and tone?

2. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I'm trying to figure that out myself (1210 vs Epi 210UL). The most appealing thing about the Epi is its weight.

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I wasn't looking at an UL though. I am not the biggest fan of Neo speakers.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would consider both of those cabs to be somewhat colored (not transparent), though IME, the Epi would be closer to "flat", if that's what you are after. You are obviously familiar with the Schroeder tone. Compared to that, I would say the Epi would sound slightly mid-scooped, and with a more sparkly high end (though the Schroeders can come with a Titanium tweeter, I believe).

This sounds like a job for KJung! :D

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I just read your avatar line, Natrab! I don't know if you mean me, but I'm ROTFL nonetheless! :p

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    hahah, it does mean you! I'm working on it.

7. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    So what would you consider is the most flat sounding cab out there? Accugroove?

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you want something small, yet big sounding, try an EA NL210. only 44 easy to carry lbs. tried one w/ my Focus at (ALL HAIL) Bobby G's place, and was knocked to the floor! i'm actually thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to getting one myself.

[​IMG]

course, there's also an Acme B2, which is quite small, and only 49 lbs. on my bathroom scale. its not nearly as loud as most others, but plenty for a small gig when you want some fat Low B action.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get another Schroeder. Why? Because I am trying to scrape up the money to buy that Epi 210 in the FS forum. :D

Seriously though....if you want that Epi 210, go for it. I love my 112, and my UL110. I'll never be without an Epi cab as long as I play bass.

-Mike

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I already got the Schroeder. Thinking of getting the Epi as well tomorrow (since I'm up in Sacramento right now and wouldn't have to deal with shipping).

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cool Nate. Well, buy that 210 and then I'll buy it from you. Perhaps you'd be interested in trading it for my 112 and some cash.

-Mike

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    +1

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    At the last NoVA,MD,DC GTG, I had a chance to do a side by side comparison with my Epifani 210UL and Hollowman's Schroeder 1210.
    Here's what I found using an iAmp350 and a Lakland 4-94:

- The 210 UL was much lighter, but the Schroder had a smaller footprint.
    - The Schroeder had a little more boom in it's sound, whereas the Epifani was a little brighter.
    - The Epi was more of a hi-fi tone with rich sparkly highs, the Schroeder had more of the thick tone. Once I cranked the tweeter on the Schroeder, it could get a similar brightness to the Epi. But to my ears, the highs on the Epi were richer.
    - In terms of filling the room with lush low end, both did the job well, but I'd give the edge to the Schroeder.
    - Both amps had a great sound, but neither had that low mid punch like a nice Eden. You could dial it in, but it wasn't there naturally.

Great cabs, but different in tone. Of course all of this is according to my ears.

14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I was there for this comparison (since it was my Schroeder after all), and I'd concur with everything Jong's saying. Both cabs can be made to sound a lot like each other, but the Epi is naturally clearer with brighter highs, whereas the Schroeder seemed like it gave more natural, effortless low end. I was impressed with the Epi's low end, and I've never had a problem dialing in crisp, musical highs on the Schroeder, so I don't think you can lose overall between these two brands.

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm passing on the Epi, as I have the Schroeder 1210 now and I'm about to get a Bergie NV610 for a price comparable to that of the Epi.

It's all your buuudddy.