Schroeder 1210 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CaptainWally, May 18, 2005.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I know the answer to these questions are probably in the Schroeder uber-thread, but since I don't have the heart to read the whole thing.

- I've been looking for an improvement on my cabs for a looooong time, but haven't found anything to fit the bill.

- I use 2 SWR Goliath Jrs. I like their punch, lows, efficiency, volume, flexibility, and portability. I don't like their tweeters and they are a bit too scooped.

- I play a 4 string Modulus Flea bass with a Bart MM pickup and I use an Ashdown ABM500 w/ 575W into 4 ohms.

- I don't think I'm a big fan of super hi-fi gear: I find Accugroove, Epifani, and EA to be too uncolored for my tastes, although I applaud the engineering and quality.

- I generally prefer 10's over 12's as punch seems to be high on the list of attributes that I like.

- Tom B. (dah man!) has suggested Schroeder might fit the bill.

* Is the 1010 gone from the product offering?

* Will the 1210 have as much punch as the SWRs?

* How will the 1210 compare in volume to the SWR Jr.? 1 SWR < 1210 < 2 SWRs?

* Do I have enough power to run 2 1210's?

* Will one 1210 be enough for up to medium sized clubs?

* What's the coloration like on Schroeder cabs?

Specs on 1210:

One 10" cast frame woofer, 350 Watts RMS with 56 oz. Magnets, Vented pole pieces, 2.5" voice coils.
    One 12" cast frame woofer, 500 Watts RMS with 65oz Magnets, vented pole pieces
    Top notch high quality 100 Watts titanium tweeter horn
    dual ¼" and dual speakon connectors
    custom crossover with attenuator
    frequency response 40hz - 18khz
    850 Watts RMS
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

* Do I have enough power to run 2 1210's?

Does your amp do 2 ohm loads? How much power does it output at that load?

* Will one 1210 be enough for up to medium sized clubs?

Definitely, if you go through the PA as I always do in bigger venues. Maybe, otherwise, depending on your band situation.

* What's the coloration like on Schroeder cabs?

Pretty much the opposite of scooped, with a pleasing low-mid bump. The tweeter is very smooth as well.

As far as your other questions, I have no experience with the SWR stuff you're currently using.
  3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member's sound like Eden XLT with a nice tweeter?

I'd say the Schroeder is less colored and cuts better in a band situation, but the vibe is somewhat similar. I've only played through the XLT (the 210) once though, and I was using a Metro with an extension cab and a borrowed bass, so I'm not all that confident in comparing the two.

As far as gigging without PA support, I've gotten by in a 300 seater playing hip hop, surf, blues, and jam band rock with decent results, and that was on fretless, which typically seems to require a bit more push from a bass rig. Since that club has 4 subs, I usually go through the FOH too, but I can get by without.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I still have my Eden 210XLT, and IMHO the the Schroeder 1210 crushes it in every catagory...punch, low end, tightness of low end and power capability. I just keep my Eden 4/10XLT & 210XLt for the rental pool of the local sound companies that get request for them on tour riders. Same as my old SWR stuff :cool:
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've spent a good amount of time with a goliath jr II, and an
    eden 210xlt. I now have epifani. I very much liked the swr's
    sensitivity, but thats about it. The epi 210UL kills both of
    those boxes separately or together, especially a ways out in
    front of the box. The schroeder 1210 will do the same. I get
    the feeling the 1210 is more efficient than the epi 210UL. You
    will have to get used to either tweeter after the swr. Both
    are more natural sounding. I think you would be very happy
    with the schroeder or the epifani. Much more than the swr or
    the eden. The scoop factor: If the swr is a 9, the epi is about
    a 5, and the schroeder a 3. (approximately) jmho
  7. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I'm also looking at the shroeder cabs, this may be a bit naive, but what do you guys mean by "scoop" or "scoop factor"
    and I'll take my answer off the air
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think he means the lack of mids.
  9. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Scooped sounds like a smiley face on a graphic EQ. You have the lows boosted a bit, low mids come down a bit. The mids are almost cut. High mids are like the low mids. And treble around the same as bass.

That is of course, 'scooped' with an amp. When it's in context with a cab, you pretty much set your amp flat, yet still get that 'scooped' sound.

Hope you get that.. Someone could answer it better, but i'm tired :(
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The 1010 appears to have disappeared from the Schroeder website, so I'd assume it's history.

Would a 410 be too large for you?
    I love the punch and low end on mine.
    It will do almost any venue (even outdoors) with a health dose of power (handles 1400W).
    [90% of the time, I do not have PA support.]

The 1210 has some serious punch as well, but has a thicker tone to the low end and mid-bass than the 410.
  11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    since your in the CA area I would see whose closer, Juan at Bass Electric & Acoustic or Jorg in LA and go and check the cabs out.