Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder 1210 v 1212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Mar 7, 2005.

1. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    What are the differences in tone & volume between these two cabs? I've read most of the mega thread but would like more info. I have an Euphonic Audio Wizzy 112 so if anyone can make comparisons to that cab that would be great.

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I would like to know as well. As large as the Schroeder thread is, the 1212 not talked about that much.

3. I have both cabs,must say the 1212 is my favorite,but I love the low end rumble.Differences? Well 1212 has more low end of course,but really either cab is good.What type of music do you play? I'm at work but tonight I could AB them if you want.Just offhand I'd say the low mids is where the 1212 is most noticable different from the 1210.To my ear,the 1210 has a bit more "bite" in the low mid,where the 1212 is more "round" (for lack of a better word!).I use a Focus2R,Kay string bass,and 62 Jazz mostly,if that helps any.Let me know if I can help any more.

4. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    It seems like a lot of people who have tried both like the 1212. I like the sound of round as opposed to biting low mids. Is the clarity much different? How about volume?

5. I've tried them both and I liked the 1210 better only because I thought it to be less colored (ie more flat or hi-fi).

I could really see how LOTS of people would prefer the 1212 because it really projected a low-mid sound and would especially be right for country or rock.

Eventhough it has a horn/piezo, the overall effect of the 1212 is that of a punchy fast 15, where the 1210 is more like a deep throaty 2x10

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if that doesnt gas anyone, i dont know what does... :)

7. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I have a 1212 as of a week ago. If I were a slapper exclusively, I believe that I would have preferred the 1210. I think the 1212 is perfect for fingerstyle play, especially if a B string is in the picture.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The 1210 has a bit more bite and punch than the 1212. The 1212 has a bit more lows and low-mid. To me, the 1210 is more efficient and if I were to get the 1212, I'd opt to go with a bigger power source than what I currently have. I wanted to like the 1212 better going into it, but in the end, I preferred the 1210.

I'm not too familier with the Wizzy, but I'm familier with the CXL-110, and to my ears, the EA stuff is more "hi/fi" than the Shroeder stuff. I wasn't crazy about the lowend response on the CXL's, but it certainly had a nice clean sound to it and was also quite efficient. The Shroeder stuff to me has a much stronger lowend prescense and was every bit as efficient, if not more efficient than the EA stuff. My personal preference is with the Schroeders.

9. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    YMMV indeed :) I haven't been able to A/B them, but I did get to try a 1210 before I ordered my 1212 and I have exactly the opposite impression. I remember the 1210 being a bit more peaky in the mids and the 1212 smoother without being scooped. It is a bit on the boomy side, but with the tweeter most of the way up, the 1212 is not too a bad speaker for playing CDs through. I'm listening to Radiohead through it right now (in mono) :) Not as smooth in the bass as my EA CXL-112 though. I do love the EA low end, but it doesn't have the same acoustic power per dollar as the Schroeder does.

I don't think the Schroeder 1212 is the very best cab ever built for anybody at any price, but for me it's better than most I can afford and it's eminently practical. I expect to keep mine a good long while.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    While I haven't tried both, I can't imagine there is much of a difference. It's a slight size difference in one speaker - that's it. Doing A/B testing that is not blind isn't going to help much either because people always assume that a 12 will go deeper than a 10.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Good advice! But in owning both and switching up regularly, they do have similar but unique voices. The mind is a powerful thing, so maybe sight has swayed my opinion as well....

While close, the same bass, same room, same amp, same eq yeilds to my ears this generalized variations.

1210 = punchier and more aggressive, with killer slight low mid burp
    1212 = deeper, rounder, smoother... Feels a bit louder and bigger.

together = :eek: :bassist: :D :cool:

as always this is "In My Humble Opinion" and I are Jorg's webmaster now... so take my opinion with that grain of salt

12. Bass,
    The clarity between the 1210 and 1212 isn't that much of an issue (imho). I do think the 1210 can be a bit clearer and "hifi",but I agree with with the above post that the 1212 "seems" a bit louder to my ears.I "ABed" the 2 cabs the other night,and I must say I like them both.I tend to take the 1212 out on gigs that only need 1 cab for,cause I like the "rounder" sound and bigger bottom end.These aren't the best,hands down,all time,ultimate cabs for me,but consider the size,price,sound,customer service,etc.These are a great deal of a cab.Sight unseen is a hard way to buy,I tried them both out in Memphis before I bought,but I think you'd be happy with either one.If I had to buy just one I'd get the 1212.But that's just me.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have both, and agree with James Hart's assessment :cool:
    To me, they are awesome together. If I'm only taking one to a smaller gig, I usually take the 1212.

14. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    like a few others here i also own both and i too notice quite a bit of differance in volume.for a while i would take both to gigs and a/b them all night.i would start with the 1210 with a stewart 2.1 and a demeter for a while and switch to the 1212.i always thought the 1212 sounded huge by comparison and the lows just blossomed.the 1212 was almost too much at times(on smaller stages) where the 1210 was a perfect fit.on big stages and outdoor gigs the 1212 really shines.its plenty loud.i agree, the 1210 is more aggressive while the 1212 sounds rounder.i find that i usually boost the mids on the 1212 for a little more cut.i will say though that alot of my work is in the corporate party market in hotel ballrooms with pa support so im usually not relying on my rig to fill a room.

to you guys that are using both-are you stacking them or running them side by side?i tried both a favored the side by side.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I stack them, but if I only take one cab I have the angled speaker facing up.

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1210 sittin the way Jorg built them on the floor with the 1212 sitting on top. I like the way the punchy cab couples to the floor.

Picture in my sig link shows how my rig is set 95% of the time. :bassist:

17. bassjam

bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    man thats some quick responses.
    ill have to try the stack again.honestly though,one of these is usually enough for me.even on bigger stages the really seem to open up.
    i tried standing the 1210 up on its side at a club gig recently.i didnt seem to like it as well as setting it back down as james said"like jorg made it".i also just picked up a focus.jorg and brian are right.it a really nice combo.

18. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    So far, I haven't gigged my 1212, but I'm probably going to run it on the side with the angled speaker facing up. I'd like to get another set of feet to put on the "side" of the cab for better floor contact.

I'm probably also going to have to custom make a cover, because I will want it to sit this way all the time. I suspect that the factory covers fit it when in sits in the normal, feet-on-the-ground position, right?

19. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I tried them both briefly at a guitar show last September. I started out with the 1212 and when we switched to the 1210 it was like removing a towel from the front of the cabinet (to my ears anyway).

Very much the same as how I liked to pair my former Avatar B212s with Avatar B210s (no I'm not comparing Avatars to Schroeders, just noting that I'm consistant in my tonal likes).

20. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I can't agree more with that analogy...I had a very similar experience when comparing the two a while back. The 1210 has much more bite to it, and the 1212 has more lowend, but to me the 1212 just lacked definition. I think that a 1210 and a 1212 together though would cover it all, even though I'm very glad that I went with a pair of 1210s.