Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder 1210 vs goliath 3 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DerekP, Jan 4, 2006.

1. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    right now im playing a goliath 3 and i like it i just havent found that holy grail cabinet yet so i think its time to move on, how would a 1210 compare volume wise to the swr, im assuming the 1210 will bury the swr from what ive read, so is that the case? and also how will they compare tonewise?

thanks everyone. Do NOT pm about buying the swr, it is not for sale on tb due to me not being a supporting member *yet*

2. I played a GIII for years and also have a 1210. They sound totally different. While the 1210 will keep up with the Goliath III volume-wise, the tone is totally different... with the 1210 being very punchy with a strong mid-range presence and a lack of huge low end. If you like the Goliath III sound and don't mind the size and weight... stick with it. If you are looking for a punchier, less scooped sound in a smaller package, the 1210 or 1212 is great.

3. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    +1

After playing the G3 for a while I decided to try a 1210.
    KJ is right! The sounds are totally different.
    I got rid of my 1210 before the G3.
    I had troubles hearing myself on-stage with the 1210, but it was more portable. I never did try setting it on it's side though.

4. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    the only thing i do not like about the swr is that its too mid rangey, so maybe schroeder isnt such a good idea for me?

5. SWR's cabs are not typically described as having too much midrange response :confused: What head and bass are you using, and what type of tone are you trying to achieve?

6. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    check my profile for gear, ive used the same setup through an ampeg 8x10 and it was way less mid rangey but wayyy to big i need to downsize from the 4x10 due to car space, so i was hoping for a small amazing stand alone, the tone im going for is i guess very deep but at the same time clear and punchy but not clicky or noisy... i keep the the amp pretty much flat maybe a little cut in the midrange or a bit of boost in the lows , and with my bass i keep the treble at half and the bass just past half.

7. OK... I assume you are probably hearing the very upper midrange and treble coming out of the SWR's tweeter. So, it sounds like you don't like tweeters to me, since the SWR sound is typically described as lacking mids (at least lower mids).

Nothing small is going to sound like one of those huge, sealed Ampeg cabs.... however, the Schroeder1212 with the standard tweeter might sound pretty good to you. The 1212 has more bottom than the 1210, and the standard, non-selenium tweeter has been described as very natural sounding. Also, the lower mids coming out of Jorg's cabs are somewhat similar to those big, sealed Ampeg type cabs.

Good luck on your search.

8. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    sorry i also should have said that i keep the tweeter almost completley off cause its harsh and sounds like ass. also i found the ampeg to be not clear enough for my needs.
    i could also pick up a used EA 1-12 locally or the berg ex 1-12 do u think that would suit my needs a little better ( keep in mind id add a 2nd cab to either of those in the future)

9. Interesting.... IMO both those 112's sound very nice but are really not very loud at all, and the 1212 alone would put out more sound than two of the cabs you mention.

I can see where you wouldn't like the Goliath with the tweeter off.. that's an integral part of the GIII sound (like it or not!). I think the 1212 might really be great for what you are looking for... it can get very loud, very grindy, and sounds good with the tweeter down low.

My sound requirements are totally different from yours, so I'm sure other TBers will chime in and give you more info. However, other TBer's that are into the 'Ampeg/rock' type tone have really loved the 1212.... and it will be more refined and clear than the typical sealed Ampeg cab IMO.

10. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    you make a lot of sense thanks a lot, any other opinions welcome :)

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree with Ken! Out of all the cabs you mentioned the 1212 sounds like it would fit your needs the best. I have a steady gig that has a house SWR rig with a Goliath that I totaly ignore!
    The Goliath is so........late 80's early 90's. :bag: :D

12. I don't think the schroeders will sound like a good fit at all for you from what you described (at least in terms of sound)

Perhaps you might have difficulties identifing what exactly is what frequency when you're listening.... Maybe describe more what you want but instead of words like deep or punchy, if you tell us perhaps a recording or have an audio clip that you may be trying to emulate? Just a thought....

13. I agree regarding the 1210... why not the 1212 in your opinion?

14. pertaining to A/Bing 10->12: While it does pronounce a different sound, it's not as drastic as one might think (or at least to me) particularly within the same brand of cabinets.

It sounds like he wants to change his sound to a fuller warmer signal, which to me would not sound like the schroeder line (my opinion of course). Markbass line will come out soon which is just as light as schroeders and a little more hint of warmness and clean to me. But not as loud. Nice little package for those looking at that sort of thing, which to me it seems like it may be the case for derek *shrug*.

This is all bassed on he wants "more bass" and a "clean signal", and i translate his definition of bass to be the lack of low mids missing from SWR and his definition of mids is the lacking in ampeg of more powerful bass. Well that's how I call it anyways. Cheers.

15. +1 ... I'm not exactly sure about the sound he's looking for either. I do find my 1212 to have more low end punch and extension, but agree with you that they are in a similar tone family. I hope he gets to try some cabs out... that's obviously the only way to know for sure.

16. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Derek, I also have a Goliath III, which I frequently play with the tweeter almost off. If you want more bottom and some warmth with no clarity loss and less of a mid-scoop, you might want to try the G-K Neo line, either a 212 or two Neo 112's. I have the 112, and prefer its tone to my G3. It's very full and smooth, with excellent clarity. I'd love a second Neo 112, but don't have the scheduled gigs to justify it.

Bass Player's review of the 112 and 212 complains of a harsh high end, but these cabs really warm up over time (they sound almost brittle at first), and the highs can be tamed easily with tweeter, EQ, and on-board tone controls. I haven't found the 112 harsh, but, for what it's worth, I do turn down the passive tone controls on my Fenders more with it than with other cabs.

The Neo 212 is 25 pounds lighter and a couple of inches shallower than the G3, so it's more portable.

17. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I went from an SWR Goliath III to a Schroeder 1212 and have never regretted the switch. Less weight, less size, more power handling capability, tighter, punchier and noticeably improved tone to my ears at least.

If you ever need service see how quickly Fender will get back to you compared to Jorg.
    I wonder if the current SWR/Fender cabs are even made by bassists. There's no doubt when it comes to Jorg. He's the real deal.

18. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I had a SWR Goliath Sr. and the 1210 kicks it's butt. Just simply think about how many happy users responsed to you today (right after your post). This should not even be a question in your mind. Go for the 1210 or 1212!
    Mike

19. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    thanks so much everybody, a dealer about an hour away has some schroeders, the 1212 and the 410 so im going to head out there this weekend and try them out, also i plan on going to clubbass, (downtown toronto)... to check out some markbass and berg, ill let you guys know what i end up picking and why in a few weeks time.

oh and PS the guy who said it might be the lack of low mids on the swr was totally right. i really notice it now.

20. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I wouldn't take two free G III cabs over my Schroeder 1210.
    O.K maybe I would, I would sell them in order to finance another Schroeder cab.