Schroeder 1210 vs two Flite 110s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Oct 26, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I own a shroeder 1210 and I am contemplating selling it and replacing it with two Flite 110s. the 110s are 250w rms, 15lbs each with an spl of 96db. the schroeder is 850w 47lbs spl 102db. Needless to say the 1210 is much louder. But I have to balance volume versus portability. 30lbs of Flite or 47 of schroeder. I have no doubt that the schroeder is capable of handling any venue that my band may play. I very much doubt my band will move beyond playing medium size venues, more like small ones mostly. This leads me to believe that perhaps the 1210 is more than I need. I know its never a bad thing to have more than you need, but pushing around an extra 17lbs just for that fact seems not so great. My question is would the two Flite 110s be able to handle a medium size venue and still maintain good tone? keep in mind that almost all venues where I live have PA support. If they didnt I wouldnt even consider this.

The schroeder 1210 is an excellent cab. However, its 47lbs, which is still on the light side for bass cabs, but the thought of two 15lb cabs makes me salivate. I dont drive so I have to haul my entire rig onto the bus. I havent had to actually do that yet, but I have to be prepared to. Right now I just roll my rig onto the Light Rail Train to the practice studio (I use my mini 12+ for practices and leave the 1210 at home). When gigs come I have to be prepared to bring it anywhere.

I am a little concerned that two 1x10s are going to be enough. The classic rock band I am in now plays at moderate volume, but that may not be true in the future. I have a 600w poweramp (AI Focus SA) so I am pretty sure I have enough wattage. Its a matter of can the two 1x10s handle the wattage AND give me good low-end tone without farting out (I am not a low-end freak, more like low mids to cut through the mix) and can they perform this in a medium size venue.

Guy from Flite says they definitely can, but I wanted some other opinions here. I dont want to regret selling the 1210. But again 47lbs is much heavier than 30.

Thanks for the opinions!
  2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Can he build you a 2x10? It would be much more portable than 2 single 10's though you lose the option of just using one ten.
  3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Get the 4 ohm Flite 115M instead loaded with a Kappa speaker instead of the stock speaker. It will weigh about the same as the 2 1x10's, cost less, and cover your gig much better than the 2 1x10's.
  4. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    If you're dragging gear onto the Skytrain, why move two boxes and not one? My vote would be to get 1-15 Flite box at 4 ohms to optimize your power. They're still pretty light.
  5. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I think this is an interesting question. I've wanted to ask it myself.

I wonder though; how does your Schroeder mini 12+ match up against the proposed pair of Flites? You may save 17 pounds overall with the Flites but now you have two separate cabinets to manage so you'll still have your hands full.

I look forward to hearing the responses to this one.

6. neutrino

Sep 18, 2005
    what's the web address for these flite guys?
  7. I have not played a Flite with a Kappa installed, but the stock Flites are.... well..... um.....

Also, most 110 cabs, even if you stack two of them, IMO don't really perform very well regarding bass response and punch, even at moderate volumes... you wouldn't even be in the same universe as the 1210 for volume and punch.

The 1-15 Flite with a Kappa sounds like a good idea if you are weight sensitive. Also, there are a number of 112 cabs (Bergs, Epi's, Accugrooves) that put out quite a bit of sound (although nothing like the 1210) and weigh in the 30's.
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  9. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hmmm... everyone has consistently said the two 110s are not the greatest idea. That says something in itself. I may consider the Flite 115.

The cubic volume of one Flite 110 is 2002 (sq inches?) so multiplied by 2 = 4004

The schroeder mini 12 is 4096 and the mini 12 is rated at 500w with an spl of 100db. 250w x 2 (each 110 is 250w) = 500w total with an spl of 96db. Thus maybe a single mini 12 maybe just as loud as two Flite 110s and a little deeper? The mini 12 is also 2lbs lighter than two Flite 110s so that's bonus.

Jorg has said that the 1210 is as loud as most 4x10s. So perhaps one mini 12 is as loud as one 2x10?

I have a mini 12+ and with my 600w poweramp it hasnt farted out once. Perhaps it would be sufficient for stage volume considering that my band would have PA support anyway?
  10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    could you please be more specific? I am interested in what you think of the stock Flites, blemishes and all.
  11. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  12. I've played their 15" cab, and a few years ago a 10 and a 2x8. They were very light, but IMO, they were very nasally and thin sounding with a very weak low end (even the 15" model).

The Flite cabs were very innovative years ago because they really were much, much lighter than anything out there. Now, with a number of high quality manufacturers making great sounding Neo cabs, if you just go a little heavier than the Flite, you will be IMO much happier.

Also, Jorg is working on Neo designs for his cabs... I don't have any inside info, and don't know if he will find Neo speakers that fit his sound profile, but if you really like your Shcroeder, you might want to wait for 4 or 5 weeks and see what Jorg comes up with.
  13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Flite is now using different materials than the old Flites and different cab designs. I wouldn't compare the old stuff to the new ones.

Yeah Neos are light, but still don't sound as good as conventional magnet speakers IMO.

I'm using 2 115M's with a ThunderFunk 550 and it KICKS BUTT!
  14. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    If you try this, please give an update. I'd like to hear what you think.
    Good luck.
  15. You could very well be correct on the new Flite's, although there were a couple of TBers on an earlier thread that were very disappointed in the cabs (one of which changed the speaker to the Kappa and ended up being happy. All I know is the older ones were pretty nasty.

Also, single 10 cabs by any manufacturer is probably a mistake if you need to play at any sort of volume.

I TOTALLY disagree with the Neo vs. conventional speakers... but that just gets into personal taste.
  16. spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    is 17 lbs really that much to be worried about though??
  17. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I know Jim Bergantino still refuses to use em!
  18. I realize that. I respect Jim, enjoy his posts and like his cabinets. I like the EpifaniUL's MUCH better for their articulatation, high sensitivity, beautiful upper mid definition, etc.

This has been quoted by a number of Berg users.... Jim doesn't use Neo's, therefore Neo's are bad.

I guess I could say the same thing.... well... Nick Epifani eliminated his non-Neo line, therefore traditional speakers are a thing of the past. That's equally silly :confused:

Boogiebass.... where are you when I need you :D
  19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    As you said, it's a matter of personal tastes. Neos sound different, they do not sound like conventional speakers. Either you like them or you don't. I've played through the AccuGroove and EA Neo stuff and don't care for it, and judging from the number of used Neo cabs popping up for sale, I would say others are experiencing the same.
  20. I also do not like the Accugroove or EA stuff particularly. I didn't particularly care for them pre Neo, and I don't particularly care for them 'post neo'. They are both great cab lines, just not particularly my sound.

And... I see many more used Berg's for sale than EpiUL's... this all doesn't matter and is beside the point. Just like a conventional speaker, there are different quality Neo speakers, and there are different manufacturers who do a better or worse job manufacturing/tuning/voicing their cabs. Saying 'you don't like Neo's' is like saying you don't like digital amps having only played an Acoustic Image and never having played a Walter Woods.... or only playing an Ampeg SVT Pro III and then saying you 'don't like hybrid heads' (no offense to AI or Ampeg :) )

Anyway.... not worth getting in a tizzy over :)