Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Schroeder 1212/Thunderfunk TFB550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigtexashonk, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I've had the little beasts for a few months now, played several smaller club gigs and countless rehearsals, but Saturday it really got the workout.

Played an outdoor birthday party on top of a windblown hill out in the country. Everyone in the band was mic'd or direct into the PA except for me. Ran the volume just a hair past half up and the sound was so big and huge that I had to move as far away from the cab as possible or I couldn't even hear the monitors or dummer! Cut right through the mix with no problem and never had to worry about being hard to hear.

Then to be able to fit the entire rig into my trunk after the fact. Amazing!

Much thanks to Jorg and Dave for creating such killer machines!

2. Nice! I am also amazed at the volume and punch of this combination, and have used this exact rig on gigs that should have overwhelmed it... but didn't!

I'm actually in the process of swapping out my 1212R for a 21012 Light... just a little bigger and about the same weight. It will be interesting to do the A/B on these.

3. lonotes

lonotes A place for everything, & everything out of place

Oct 15, 2003
    Port Richey,FL

I know there's a typo in there somewhere, I just can't quite put my finger on it ;) .

back on topic, I just used my 1210 outdoors about 10 days ago, and was amazed with it's volume and punch.

4. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

5. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I played to a 300+ crowd the other night using my ABM300 and 1210. must say it did the trick but i had it quite high on the master. I couldnt hear the kick drum at all (not mic'd).
    Now looking for a bit more headroom via a power amp.
    One thing i have noticed with the 1210 is that i cant hear the high freq's a lot of the time. to me where im standing (and it is only a couple of feet max) it sounds quite muffled. i do have the low end turned up to about 3 0'clock so maybe that is drowning out the top. i have the tweeter on half way. im sure it sounds good out front its just that it would be nice to hear it on stage as well.
    since i got the 1210 my playing has changed quite a bit. im finding i play a lot more now (maybe not a good thing) as the sound has more punch so i can hear all the note evenly.

6. You might want to try swapping out the standard tweeter for the selenium model... very nice, and can really give you the sizzle if you want it.

Also... you might just be hearing some natural compression in the sound by pushing that small Ashdown head (I find the Ashdowns more on the mid-wooly sounding side in general... nice, but the voicing might be a little much in the mids with the rather mid-punchy 1210, especially if you are really pushing the head to its limits) I've always found that when you push a head too hard, the low end AND the high end tends to sound a little strained.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks Ken
    I understand what you mean about pushing the amp but its the same with lower volumes. i have recorded a couple of my gigs with the mic almost on the floor just off from the front of the cab and the trebble is there, its just with me being just over 6ft tall and standing almost over the amp the highs are going straight out front or the low end is just overwhelming them.
    I dont really get the chance to go out front to hear whats going on and i dont really like bright tones but i must agree with you about the ABM sounding "mid-wooly". Im thinking of rather getting a power amp i may swap the ABM for a MB LMII. that would give me a tiny bit more head room (but it would be enough) and also a different tone that might suit me better.
    Havent tried one yet but looking to do so this weekend.

8. Very cool. The Focus sounds pretty sweet with the cab also, adn the TF550 sounds WONDERFUL with the 1210 and is still relatively small and light. I would think the LMII would be great, but haven't had the pleasure of hearing one yet. You also might want to put a spring loaded handle on the bottom to use as a tilt-back.. that seems to work well for 'tall people with small cabs', and still allows for some 'floor coupling' that is helpful with small cabs.

Good luck!

K

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Thanks for the tip ken, ill look in to it.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've had my TFB420 and 1210 for about a year now (?) or so...Gigged it relentlessly under all kinds of circumstances, with both DB and electric, often both on the same job. Everything from 3 piece rock bands to 5-6-7 piece jazz bands, R&B, etc.
    It has never been anything other than "just plain old killer."
    I'm 45 years old, and have played a lot of different kinds of high end gear for a long time. Even now I still try new gear hoping to find "the next best thing." So far, there hasn't been one.

Nothing else has come close to the TFB/Schro combo. Period.

11. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I just wish i could afford a TF. I spent £570 on the ABM in Dec but ive still not come to love it. something not quite right to my ears although i loved my MAG. im even thinking of swapping the ABM for the MAG 600H.
    So lack of cash means im having to raise the money ofr anything new by selling/px'ing the ABM
    I mght fell better if i had got the ABM500 as i know that would be loud enough but i cant decide if i should just get a cheapish power amp to bring my volume up or just get a new amp. if i get the power amp im still stuck with the ABM sound.
    but the 1210 is really getting better each gig. i find i boost the low end at sound check (if we have one) but normaly back it off after a few numbers as its too much sometimes.
    The punch that i get from the 1210 is really cutting through on stage.