Schroeder 1212 vs. Aguilar GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tryxx, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Schroeder 1212

17 vote(s)
  2. Aguilar GS212

5 vote(s)
  1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Lady's and Gentleman, boy's and girls, children of all ages... Let's get ready to rumble!

In the red corner we have the little low mid cab with a big sound, the Schroeder 1212. Weighing in at 48 lbs, this little 2 speaker cabinet makes up with a HUGE sound, low midrange definition, and clear highs.

1212: Compared to the 1210, it delivers a rounder tone with more low end yet still provides a clean punch.

one front fired 12" with one angled 12"

* Two 12" cast frame woofers, 500 Watts RMS each with 65oz Magnets, vented pole pieces
    * Top notch high quality 100 Watts titanium tweeter horn
    * dual ¼" and dual speakon connectors
    * custom crossover with attenuator
    * frequency response 40hz - 18khz
    * impedance 4 or 8 ohm (choice of one or the other)
    * 1000 Watts RMS
    * 48lbs

In the blue corner we have the big bad boy with the hi-fi punch, the Aguilar GS212. Weighing in at 70 lbs, this cab comes in with crystal clear definition, and clarity to handle all your wants and needs, with a tweeter push your high's.

* Two 12" cast frame woofers, 56 oz. magnets
    * Power handling: 600 watts
    * Impedance: 4 or 8 ohms
    * Phenolic tweeter with integral phase plug
    * Custom crossover with variable tweeter control
    * One Neutrik Speakon and two 1/4" inputs
    * Frequency response: 41 Hz to 16 kHz
    * Sensitivity: 103 dB @ 1W 1M
    * Casters included
    * Recessed deep-dish handles
    * Interlocking corners
    * Dimensions: 24"H x 22.50"W x 16.625"D
    * 7-ply, void free Philippine mahogany
    * Weight: 70 lbs.

Ok, well anyway. My main setup would be this:
    Bass-Modulus Quantum 6
    Head-Mesa/Boogie Walkabout
    Effects-Boss GT-6B

My Modulus has a bright, clear, tone that I love. But I would like to warm it up a bit, hence the Walkabout. Also with the GT-6B, if anything fails, it can model amps too, so I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with anything I do. Thing is, I just want a different tone than what my Peavey TNT 115 is giving me. It's not that I don't like it, it's just that I'm wanting something different and approaching that audiophile stage. At the moment, I really have no reason to push my amp, so severely underpowering it isn't really a problem.

I don't know. I'm leaning toward the Schroeder already, having a rig under 2 ft. tall that can blow away most 410's appeals to me... It'd also way only 61lbs to boot, all together. I'm not REALLY sure on how loud the Aggie can get. Anyway, fire your opinions away.

LINKS: Schroeder
  2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Err, after that massively long post.. There's still not really any clue as to what you want really.

Specific questions would be good.

They're both different to the Peavey. The Aguilar more 'gooey' and thick sounding. The Schroeder more rounded with a slight low mid hump.

One question, why not the 1210?
  3. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Ah...I'm sorry, I felt that I was ranting vaguely. Basically, I'm wanting something to give me that defined round approach with sound that so thick you can cut with a knife. And yet, I want the clarity and punch as well. I'm thinking the 1212 as opposed to the 1210 because of the low B and tunings I may try. The "rounder" description appeals to me.
  4. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    i know you don't want to hear it, but get both. :D

together they'd fill out quite nicely.

and if you don't like the combination, give on to me!! :p

5. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    If that was in my budget, OF COURSE! :p Alas, 17 year old kid going to college this fall doesn't really entitle him to a large budget...
  6. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Don't let the low B fool you. I'm sure the 1210 can handle it. It may be a better option too, as it will help you 'cut' and give you that punch that only a 10 will.

From my experience with it, the Aggy isn't really how you described it. It's thick sounding, with a definant scooped/coloured tone. Whilst it is not 'muddy' I wouldn't say it's crystal clear or hi-fi either.

The Schroeder will give you the low mid hump, bit more aggresive sound. Big feel to it, as it will fill a room and the whole idea of these cabs is a love setting to cut through the mix.

The Aggy is the thicker, gooier sounding cab. A little scooped. IMO it sounds nice in the bedroom/store but when I heard one live, it got lost in the mix easily. I'm not sure if it's the greatest stand alone cab..
  7. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Thank you very much, I have to admit, the last time I played the Aguilar was about a year ago... So ignorance kind of sets in. But you've been a big help. :smug:
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Heheh, amps will come into play as well.

I used a GK and got a pretty clean and crisp sound through the GS, but seens that you'll be using a walkabout, it's got an almost tubey/warm/spongey sound allready.

Try before you buy if you can :)
  9. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I'll do my best to try another Aggie, if I can get around to Skjolds guitars they may have the Schroeder.