Schroeder 1212 vs. Dr. Bass Rx 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basss, Apr 30, 2005.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I'm may buy one of these two cabs. Both have received excellent feedback here but I haven't found any direct comparisons. I'm looking at these two because I want a 2x12 and these both weigh in at under 50lbs. The Dr. Bass is less than 1/2 the price of the Schroeder. I would be willing to pay the extra money for the Schro if it is really worth it. Has anyone tried both? Does the Schro blow the Dr. Bass away? Will I be able to get much more volume from the Schroski?
  2. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
  3. I can't comment, but I know that Dr Bass has a few threads. In particular, I think that Tom Bowlus has/had one (maybe a different guy, though.

I can tell you that with the feedback I'm hearing, you can't go wrong with the Schroeder.
  4. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    i have the rx212. i love it. i think for the money it's the best cab you can buy. i would think the schroeder would be of higher quality though...

just a side note, i had to wait about 2 1/2 months for my cab from dr bass. i ordered it early feb. and didn't get it until mid april. marc's an awesome guy but sometimes his cabs can take a while...
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You are correct on both points! I do own two Dr. Bass cabs (2x10 and 1x15). They are custom builds, employing neo Eminence drivers in thinner birch cabs (with internal bracing) that are the same dimensions as the Rx line. I am very impressed with them. They have excellent balance of frequencies, and can handle a lot of power. Very articulate, too.

I have also had the opportunity to try some of Jorg's cabs, and they were also very impressive. Really loud for thier size, with a strong low-mid presence.

There have been a lot of posts about both brands of cabs, and it is my opinion that both build a great cab for the money.

6. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001

How's the tweeter in the rx212? Was he up front about the turnaround time when you ordered it?
  7. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    I have been emailing Dave at avatar recently, he says that there will be a B212 neo version coming out in a month, i think its going to be 55lbs. and the prices from him are very cheap, I'm not trying to turn this into an AVY thread, but just wanted to let you know some other options, aswell as a Genz Benz neo 212, and a GK neo 212
  8. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    the tweeter is actually pretty good although i tend to run it low...

when i ordered the cab, marc said it'd be around 4 to 8wks to ship...

the dr bass cab actually weighs in at less than 50lbs...just thought i'd add that in. evidently some new way marc makes em...
  9. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I use an RX212 from Dr Bass.

It sounds fantastic and is as loud as I need it to be (pushing 300w through it right now with an Ashdown Mag300)

I had mentioned to Marc that I was really needing a cab soon (I was scheduled to play out and only had a 30w practice combo). He got it out to me in under two weeks if I recall correctly. Ordered late December and delivered early January I believe. At first he told me he could have it out in three days (with one day shipping from his place in SC to mine in NC), but then had some family issues that called him out of town. He came back, made it, and shipped it next day. He was a pleasure to work with too, an absolutely friendly and nice guy.

Hope this helps.
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    where are you located, chances are you might be able to try a Schroeder as they are pretty well spread out over the country and the DR bass cabs might have a return policy so you might be able to try both cabs.....
  11. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The problem with the Dr. Bass Cabs is that Marc is really backed up right now.

So if you don't have a rig, go with the Schroeder's. If you have one already and are looking to upgrade, going with Dr. Bass and possibly returning wouldn't be too bad of an idea if you don't mind the wait.