1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder 1212 w/ Ampeg 410HLF?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jmjbassplayer, Apr 21, 2005.

1. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping to get some tips from the board on the final touches of a rig I'm putting together for club shows/rehearsing. I play in a fairly loud alternative rock band, and my rig at the moment consists of An Ampeg SVP-Pro, a SansAmp RBI, a QSC 3402, an Ampeg SVT410 HLF cab, and an SVT210E cab. (The basses are a Gibson Thunderbird, a Fender Jazz, and a Gibson RD Artist). So, The 210 is wired at 4 ohms to suck more juice out of the amp, which I consider unnecessary, because the stock speakers aren't very strong anyway (250W), and even at 8 ohms, my amp will throw a lot of power (700W) into the speaker.

Anyway, being in the LA area, I had the pleasure of trying a Schroeder 410 at Jorg's place, which sounded really good, though I really adore the sound of my 410 HLF; Unfortunately, one 410 HLF isn't quite enough for what I need, and I then got the 210. Great classic warm Ampeg tone out of the cab, just not a lot of low end oomph or pure volume (not sure if I dig the fact that it is rear ported). So, I'm now considering a smaller Schroeder box to mate with the 410HLF. I called Jorg, and he suggested the 1212; I was a little surprised, since the 1210 seems so much more popular. I was also considering an Aguilar GS212, though I put my GS112 I use for sessions in the mix and again, like the Ampeg 210, it's just not quite enough - both the SVT210 and the GS112 seem to break up too early and not add much nice low end enhancement, hence my reasoning towards getting a relatively small/lightweight cab that handles huge watts and puts out some real punch, volume, and low end...AND that can handle my liberal use of effects and ludicrous distortion. :cool:

What do you think?

Thanks so much for the perspectives,
    JMJ

2. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Anyone?

There must be some Schroeder players that can weigh in on this for me...let me make it more direct:

Which Schroeder would best complement an SVT410HLF?

Thanks,
    JMJ

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use my 1212 along with my 410...great combination because it gives me all the low end that I need.

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Steve,
    What kind of 410 are you using? And do you find the 1212 still has enough impact and punch?
    Thanks,
    JMJ

5. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have the Schroeder 410 and a Peavey 410 TVX. The 1212 replaced a Peavey 115 with a Black Widow. I played in a large place with high ceilings on Saturday with both of the Schroeders and they sounded just great with a a lot of punch.

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    cool!