Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

schroeder 1212 wired as 2 ohm??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 26, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Jorg said he would do this for me and I would like to consider the advantages and disadvatages.

The advantage is that I could draw all 300w from my Clarus at 2 ohm.

Would an extra 100w make that much difference?

The disadvantage is that i would always have to use a head that will do 2 ohms.

My primary question is how difficult would it to be to wire the cab back to 4 ohms?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know what kind of elfin magic Jorg is packing in those tasty cabinets of his, but if you get a 2 ohm cabinet, chances are the internal drivers are 4 ohms each.

With two 4 ohm speakers, you're limited to system impedances of 8 ohms (when their connected in series) or 2 ohms (when they're connected in parallel). No 4 ohm impedance is possible, unless you disconnect one speaker altogether...

If your power output choices are 200 watts into 4 ohms and 300 into 2 ohms, I'd go with 4 ohm cabinets since the rule of thumb is 2x power equals 3 dB volume increase which for most folks is the smallest change that they can hear.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Another thought....a 2 ohm cabinet might be hard to sell on the secondary market compared to a 4 ohm cabinet.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So basically, if i get a 2 ohm configuration I am stuck with it and the power increase from the amp would be pretty much inaudible.

bummer. guess I'll stick with 4 ohms!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's one way to look at it...

Or you could say that your amp will run cooler (4 ohms vs. 2 ohms) and you can always add another cabinet if future needs call for it...