1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

schroeder 1212 wired as 2 ohm??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, May 26, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Jorg said he would do this for me and I would like to consider the advantages and disadvatages.

The advantage is that I could draw all 300w from my Clarus at 2 ohm.

Would an extra 100w make that much difference?

The disadvantage is that i would always have to use a head that will do 2 ohms.

My primary question is how difficult would it to be to wire the cab back to 4 ohms?

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I don't know what kind of elfin magic Jorg is packing in those tasty cabinets of his, but if you get a 2 ohm cabinet, chances are the internal drivers are 4 ohms each.

With two 4 ohm speakers, you're limited to system impedances of 8 ohms (when their connected in series) or 2 ohms (when they're connected in parallel). No 4 ohm impedance is possible, unless you disconnect one speaker altogether...

If your power output choices are 200 watts into 4 ohms and 300 into 2 ohms, I'd go with 4 ohm cabinets since the rule of thumb is 2x power equals 3 dB volume increase which for most folks is the smallest change that they can hear.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Another thought....a 2 ohm cabinet might be hard to sell on the secondary market compared to a 4 ohm cabinet.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So basically, if i get a 2 ohm configuration I am stuck with it and the power increase from the amp would be pretty much inaudible.

bummer. guess I'll stick with 4 ohms!

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's one way to look at it...

Or you could say that your amp will run cooler (4 ohms vs. 2 ohms) and you can always add another cabinet if future needs call for it...