1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder 1212L vs. GK NEO212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Help a noob pick out his first rig by offering your opinions on the two cabinets listed above.

I mainly a classic rock, blues, Motown kind of a guy. I play a Fender MIA Jazz '75 Re-issue and will most likely buy the GK1001RB-II to drive this cab with.

THANKS

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    GK is more of a vintage motown sound than Schroeder. Having owned both and i still have the GK Neo 212 The Schroeder was more HiFi than the GK. Not that the schroeder was a bad cab or anything it was very good at what it did but the Vintage vibe was not it.

3. Totally agree with Nighttrain. I got the Schroeder 1212 light and this one cuts through the mix as no other because of it's low-mid punch kind-a-sound. It's hard with this cab to glue all instruments together. Perfect if you wanna do raw funky stuff like RHCP or Living Color.

For your kinds of music the GK cab suits much better.

4. Thanks for the input guys. What about vs. the Accugroove Whappo Jr. ?

I'm open to other suggestions?

5. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i have a schroeder 1212L and love the sound... had been using two aggie gs112's, which were cool, but the schroeder rocks. i think it is a pretty versatile cab, capable of a lot of sounds, you simply have to play with the tweeter attenuator. i have found that turning down the tweeter gives me a decent old school sound (i keep it at about 9'o'clock). turning it up gives it a more hifi sound... and it's loud and light!

6. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    the amp used can help make the sound more vintage, but I dont find my 2 schros very vintagey

I think neo speakers might challenge vintage sounds perhaps

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I asked Jorg which cab I should get for a more vintage tone and he suggest the 1212R since it has a deeper, fuller, rounder bottom-end than the 1212L.

I love the 1212R.

However, I'm now gassing for a 1212L just to save some weight. One can always add in bass eq to give it more girth.

8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Hey Hal, if you want to check out a 1212L, let me know. I think I get a great vintage tone from my Trace and 1212, but I am going for a slightly overdriven aggressive P tone, rather than a smooth tone.

thombo, I keep my tweeter around 9 o'clock as well. Just right.

9. There is a very nice used 1212L with cover in 'like new shape' with the ugraded 'rhino' cover material for sale for a very good price at Low Down Sound at the moment, if you decide to go that route.:cool: Even if you don't, since you are close, you can go down there and check it out and then you will know if it's for you or not. The bummer is they had a GK212 down there a couple of weeks ago on consignment, but it's gone now, so you could have A/B'd them. I never played the GK212, but Mikebass said it sounded good... I believe it's more punchy than full sounding if I remember correctly... I believe it has a similar high -3db roll-off point like the Schroeder... lot's of low mid punch.

10. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i've only played the GK neo 212 (i own 2 of them) and it is a great cab, and works fine for stand alone.

a 700rb or 1001rbII head will work great with the cab since the cab is already wired for "horn management" biamp, and therefore is very versitile.

i think motown sound comes more from the bass (flats, foam on the bridge, higher action, etc.) than with the amp, and you can dial out the tweeter/highs if needing a more vintage sound.

i still think the bass blusey tone would be a ampeg VB4 into an ampeg SVT 15e. but having the GK head/cab set-up will help cover more ground and genres because we all know that sometimes gigs/sessions require having more than one sound.

11. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    Im actually now using a 1212R and a GK1001RBII so im in a good position to give you a quick low down!

Basically (as i believe someone has already mentioned) The cab is more than ready to deliver a motown tone given the right bass, P with flats and your singing! Even managed to get a near motown tone with severe EQ and the single coil on my bongo, but that was more Dub and i am using uber bright strings!

This is the regular version however, not the Light. So take it with a pinch of salt

12. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    man I was always jealous of you 1212R owners grrrrrrrrr!!

A nice old school head helps, but I much prefer the sound of R speakers in the schroeders than the Neos

I remember a/b ing the 410L and 1210R last year at Musik Messe, not really comparable cabs, but I thought the 1210R sounded more full and convincing to my ears and the 410L whilst very impressively punchy was a bit shrill for the sounds I like

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I would recommend checking that out!

14. Thanks, I noticed that 1212L when I was in there the other day getting a set of TI Power Bass Strings to try out. That's what got me thinking about the possible lighter weight alternative to the GK Neo212. I'll have to try to get back by there.

.H

15. Thanks Matt. I truly appreciate the offer.

It's a tough decision for a new kid :confused:
    There are so many options.