1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder 1212L... Your Experience? / / / Sound clips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jul 19, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I am seriously considering buying a 1212L.

What are your thoughts on this cab?

I am also looking for a soundclip of the 1212L. I know Jorg has one on his website but the roundwound /slap thing of Chuck Webb isnt my style. I play with flats and fingers.
    So I am looking for a soundclip more along those lines.

I am also contemplating b/n a 1212R and a 1212L. I've heard the 1212R has more beefy lows... which is appealing. However, if the lows can be dialed into the 1212L via EQ I could save the weight and still get decent lows.

:bassist::cool:

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I don't own a 1212, but I do have a 21012L and a 1210L. I have played through a 1212 a few times and just like all of Jorg's cabs, its pretty incredible. Solid and full of tone. You should be able to get all the Low end you need out of a 1212L.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It is an incredibly loud cab for it's size, and it projects very well. It is also very low mid focused almost to the point where lack of warmth becomes an issue. They need full sounding open amps like a LM or a GK to sound their best. Avoid mid focused warmer amps like Eden. I did a review of one a while back and I could not get a good sound out of one with an Eden 550WT. To me their an acquired taste, very upfront sounding, you'll either like it, or wonder where all the highs and lows coming out of your rig went.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Your description of the cab's tone sounds counter to the amps you recommend with this cab. If warmth is a problem, then wouldn't an amp like GK add to the problem? My GK 1001RBII head exceled in the Low-Mid department, and had a very crisp tone.

It seems like an Eden or Ampeg head would be much better suited for this cab.

Although, I always felt Eden heads always sounded better with Eden cabs.

5. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    i am using a 1212L
    i use it with
    one showman
    one mesa walkabout

and it has replaced my 2 x 15 and my 4 x 15 setup

it is lite and it projects
    i am happy with it
    playing in everything from a 2 man cocktail hour show to a 15 piece corporate show band

6. cadduc

cadduc

Mar 4, 2006
    oh about the tone

i have read that the schroeder is a very tone specific generating cab but i dont experience this
    albeit it does not have the same tone with the same settings as i got with the 15's with adjustment i can duplicate every tone i use from the indistinguishable muddy tone to my fav that sharp entwistle sound top with a deep low end

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Actually In the case of the Shroeder 1212, I believe the problem is the Edens low mid presence coupled with the Shroders low mid bump is overwhelming. The GK being a little more flatter and crisper doesn't seem to have this problem, neither does the Thunderfunk. The most amazing thing I noticed with the Eden / Shroeder 1212 combo was that despite the fact that the Eden is on the warm side, no amount of bass boost had any effect on the low end of the Shroeder. It was as if I was playing thru a high pass filter.

Eden heads do sound good with Eden cabs, but the Eden 550 WT / Epi series 1 UL410 combo KILLS!:D

8. I would agree with Steve (Burk) above. While I am a big fan of the 1212L for its amazing volume/size/weight ratio, I can easily go from loving to mildy hating that cab depending on the head I use with it:D . Per the above, the Eden tube pre heads sound quite mushy to me with this cab (however, the clips on Jorg's site sound killer to me, and are recorded with a WT800... so who knows!) Also, Chef uses a Navigator Eden pre with his 1210R and also loves it... so this might be more personal taste than anything else.

The Eden402 and Thunderfunk sound good, but a little dark to my ear... a little wooly sounding. The CarvinB1500, Markbass LMII, Walter Woods, and the SD800, along with the Glockenklang, sound very good to me through that cab. I haven't tried any other heads at this point. I also very much like Matrok's rig of a Hartke3500/1212L... but Matt goes for a much more growly, vintage tone than I do, so it wouldn't be for me.... sounds darn good though!

IMO

9. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I play a traynor YBA200 through my 1212R and the only thing I really hate about it is the tweet - but that's because go for a VERY grindy tone.

The low mids are super dominant in the regular version

But it sounds great for a gig. The cab itself doesn't have naturally deep lows and starts to roll off around 80 hz - but that low mid bump is so present (I think it's a +5db) that it makes up for the lack of depth.

I think of the 1212R as a quintessential rock bass cab

but other's opinions differ and

YMMV

Personally I'm thinking about ditching the crossover and the horn all together and replacing the DeltaLF drivers with Deltalite 12s for a little bit more upper mids but without tweeter distortion.

I used to play it with a B1500 - and it was very full sounding and a wee bit dark.

10. So far my 1212L sounds great with my Fender TBP-1 pre and QSC, and also with my Little Mark II. I've also tried, in a music store, a few Eden's, 550, WTX-260, and an EA iAmp 500, and in the store it sounded pretty good with all of those heads. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the 1212L. Good luck!!

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    If you plot out the 1212 in WinISD you can clearly see that the tiny cabinet volume does act like a 12dB/octave high pass filter down to the tuning frequency and then the usual 24dB/octave roll-off below the tuning frequency. Amazing how many bassists consider this a deep sounding cab - just shows why not everyone's ears can be trusted!

Alex

12. I've never heard anyone call the 1212L a 'deep' sounding cab. However, it is voiced in a way that provides some very, very good tone out front, and is shockingly loud for its size. I also find that the low end is quite responsive to an amp with a good amount of power and a nicely voiced bass control. Does that mean 30 or 40hz?..., of course not. Does it mean useable, pleasing sounding low end that works quite well in a busy mix and in the relatively boomy larger rooms that many 'rock' oriented players perform in. Absolutely!

However, as has been said by many, if you want deep, rumbling lows, this would not be the cab for you. If you want a massively punchy cab with relatively aggressive voicing, it's quite impressive.

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    My 1212L just arrived today. I'm going to give it a try with a GK1001RBII and EBS HD350. I'll report my findings (gigging tomorrow night at House of Blues).

14. Cool! The EBS HD350 is a good match IME! I've never had the pleasure of trying the 1001 with that cab.

15. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Alex,

I agree with Kjung - I don't think there are many people that rave about this cab "pillowy deep authoritative low end"

AND to me this cab opitomizes the notion of "fake bass" or a huge bump arouns 100 to 250hz to compensate for the near total lack of fundamental content.

It works for me now though because the cab is the perfect size for ...well.. cabs

AND it always sits nicely above the kick in a mix.

16. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    First impressions in the living room with my EBS are WOW!!! Of course, its just the living room and I just can't tell much about gear until it is in the band setting. That being said, it really has a nice sound and is very smooth. I'll be shocked if it doesn't cut through like a hot knife through butter based on everyone's experiences. Next full band rehearsal I want to switch back and forth between amps (and my Bergantino cabs) with a variety of basses to really get some good experience (of course I'll post). Tomorrow night at House of Blues will be trial by fire though!!! Very little time to set up and fiddle around b/c we are the openers and sound check is early b/c of some event in the private club at HOB.

17. This was my rig tonight:
    th_SchroedersLEJ.
    1212L, 1210L, QSC PLX2402, Fender TBP-1. Sound guy said that the tone was KILLIN and I agree!!!! One Schroeder cab is awesome, 2 Schroeders is HEAVEN!!!!

18. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What is the primary difference between the 1212L and the 1212R in terms of tone?

19. In my non A/B comparisons of these two cabs, IME the 1212R has a slightly lower voicing to the mid hump than the 1212L, giving it a somewhat fuller low end sound. Conversely, there is a little bit more of a 'hole' in the upper mids with that cab versus the 1212L. It's pretty slight, and IMO could be compensated for quite easily with EQ.

20. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    To me it's all int he drivers

have a look to some rough response graphs of the drivers the Eminence bases jorg's models off of.

1212R - Delta LF

4ozryb6.

1212L - Deltalite II 2512

4pyrujc.

Thus the 1212R has a 6db deficiency at 1K versus the 1212L

And the 1212L can have a higher crossover point.

The Delta 12LF drivers are better below 100hz but in the 1212 cabinet (with a naturally high roll off) the main difference happens in the midrange.

This is one of the main reasons I'm switching out my drivers for the Neos

the low end will be nearly identical but the 1212L has the better midrange.