1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Schroeder 1215L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassrique, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I've done a couple of Schroeder archive searches and have seen quite a bit on the 1212, 1210 and a couple others, but there's not many threads [if any] on the 1215L.

It seems the 1212 and 1210 are loud and very aggressive in the mids, while perhaps lacking a touch of lows.

I'm simply wondering how the 1215L compares?

http://www.schroedercabinets.com/1215.htm

Edit: If the web page won't come up, try again as the Schroeder site seems to do down at least once a day [at least recently].

2. The 1215 is a rather new cabinet, so there are not many posts on it yet, but it seems like there was talk about it somewhere on here. I'm not sure which thread though. With it being so new there won't be many reviews yet.

3. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    I'm really interested in hearing about this one too. I'm on the lookout for a very light cab that still has decent lows and can handle a lot of watts. I'm very curious about this one. I was reading another thread about the 115+L and people were saying that the 15 was really mid-rangey without a very deep low end so it could be that even this cab doesn't have really full open lows. Then again, maybe the larger cabinet and different porting will open it up a bit...

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I'm interested in trying the 1515L, 2-15's, 40lbs. and no tweeter. It might have better lows than the 1215L or a combination of either 2-1515L's or a 1515L+1215L might be interesting as well. I read somewhere that Jorg designed the 1515L for a more old school low end tone which is more what I like.

George

5. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    Good point, X Wolf. For some reason I didn't even look at the 215 because I guess I just assumed it would be heavier than what I'm looking for. 40 pounds for a 215 is amazing! Based on the reviews of the Schroeder 15's it may just have the fuller yet faster sound of other companies' 2x12's which is what I was ideally looking for.

I'll definitely be considering that one.

6. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    I am thinking about selling my Eden nemesis 410......at 62 pounds.....The last time I dragged it up 3 flights of stairs.....my left testicle blew!!!!

My research shows.....a Genz Benz shuttle 6.0 with a Schroeder 215......

I wonder if that will get me the vintage vibe with my flatwounds on my p-bass....

Still in search of the holy grail......that doesn't bust my balls and bank account....

WillieG

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    dude, don't want to be a PITA, but how the heck does this relate to the OP question about the Schro 1215L ? :rolleyes:

interesting post and all (maybe too much information)

just sayin'

good luck with that vital organ thing :p

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Lacking a touch of lows? Yeah, I guess you could say that...

I've played one of these smaller Schroeders and have heard a couple more. For my taste, they're just way, way too middy, while severely restricted in the lows. Not my cup of tea - at all. :eyebrow:

The 1215L probably is a little deeper, if it has a 12" driver and a 15" driver. At this point, I doubt that any Schroeder cab would ever yield a truly satisfactory tone. But your taste may differ (and apparently does) ...

MM

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I haven't heard a Schroeder in person, but I checked the website and watched a couple of the video demonstrations. That's not a sound I could ever use judging from that. Of course, the guy playing is playing right next to the bridge probably using the bridge pickup soloed, but who ever would play a real paying gig with that sound? Fine for showing off your chops but nobody gets paid for that. Schroeder should get a real bass player doing at least a couple demos.

I guess there's a market for those things but it wouldn't be me, at least based on what I heard on the demos. The cabs are no doubt very well made and it looks like they take pride in their work. But I need something with a much more musical sound. Maybe it's still not possible with existing technology if you want it small, light and with bottom end.

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have read just about every post on the schroeders and have a 1010R. The Schroeders claim to fame is not what they sound like by themselves but what they sound like in a mix. They cut through and can be heard. Also project well.

11. I'm being diplomatic. :p

IIRC, the frequency response of the 1215L goes down to 35 [as opposed to 41], but I know that is far from the be all and end all considering the more influential variables that effect the lows in a compact neo cab [that I observe, but don't understand :( ].

I'm drawn to Schroeder because of the practical nature of the design. Light and as loud as need be for most gigs. Seems to be a logical match for another practical piece of gear, like a LMII.

I could fashion a bergen to carry the 18kg cab on my back, and then all I need to do is carry a 3kg head and a 4kg bass, plus some odds and ends. No sweat. Years ago [when I used to gig] I could not imagine such power and tone weighing so little.

But getting back to the OP's question:

Has anyone heard the Schroeder 1215L? :bassist:

12. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

With regard to some comments about the Schroeders possibly sounding too middy and with not enough warm lows, as I posted earlier, I would like to hear a 1215L and/or a 1515L. I haven't had a chance to play either one. Of course if they are too middy sounding with not enough warm lows I probably wouldn't like them either. I'll have to reserve judgement until I can play through one. I just think the concept of a 40 lb. 215 is very attractive and worth some investigation and some demo time.

George

13. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I had a chance to visit Jorg's shop a week or so ago and try out both the 1215 and the 1515 (no tweeter).

The 1515 sounded almost "vintage" (as another player there put it) without the tweeter. It had some nice lows without being floppy like some 15's I've heard. As a standalone cab this would suffice...

...but when paired with the 1215, IMHO, it sounded awesome. Both are very light cabs. The 1215 sounded great. A touch of lows from the 15 and some mids from the 12.

Again, together these cabs sounded great. I'm going to be putting an order in for that stack in a couple of weeks.

I have to agree that the Schroeders (definitely the 10's and maybe the 12's) sound a little midrangey at times when I've played them solo. However, if you're playing in a live mix and want to cut through, then nothing does it better than Jorg's cabs. Going up against drums and a guitar can be a daunting task for some cabs...but not these. Keep that in mind when you're trying to gauge the tone of these cabs and then call them too *middy*.

I felt that the big sounding 15 really balanced out nicely with Jorg's mid-focused cabs.

IMO, when some cabs get played in the store they sound big and full of bass...maybe even a bit sweet sounding...but in the mix they die out.

Not to mention that Jorg's a great guy and super easy to deal with.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have to agree about the mid's on these smaller cabs. It can sometimes be too much for me on small stages but when i go out front i hear a different tone altogether. Plenty of lows (well, more than i hear on stage) that arent muddy like some other cabs ive owned and the mids do die off to let the lows come through.
    Guess thats how they are supposed to work.
    I too am very interested in a 1215L to replace my 1210R.

15. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Thank you for your interest in my left testicle, but don't worry I have another one.....

For starters, my interest in writing something in this thread, was my lack of interest in 12' speakers.....in any bass cabinet........I think they are a complete waste of sound space......even in the Schroeders.....
    I can't imagine why they bother.....IMHP.....you need the 15" and 2 10's to get the balance......the 12's are just not in the mix.

But in all fairness.....what's the situation.....?

A 12' and 15 maybe......

You want some deep bottom end? or mid slappy nirvana?

Then you want 4 10's.....not 2 12"......

Hey, what do I know......

willieG

16. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

XavidmanX....Thanks for sharing your experience with these cabs, please let us know how they work out when you've had a chance to use them in a live gig situation.

George

17. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I ran a freq sweep on my 21012L earlier this week while trying to determine the tuning freq of the cab (which is a story for another thread).

I definitely think the tone and volume of the 21012L is very useful. I like the cab. I am not schroeder bashing.

HOWEVER

Based on the sweeps (between 15 and 1 Khz) I am pretty confident in saying that this cab, which is generally regarded as having MORE low end than the other popular schroe's, drops like a brick under 90hz. Below 65hz it's in free fall and can for all intents and purposes IMO be considered non-existant.

No, I did NOT record spl levels.

Anyway, my point is that anyone claiming that the older (pre 15" loaded) schroeders have useful low end to 41hz has an odd notion of what useful is and my simple but practical experiment bore this out.

41hz , I dont think so. Well, -20 db maybe.

I agree with those who state that it sounds GREAT in a mix though.

18. Isn't the open E string around 41hz?

19. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    Yep. but basses and I guess any instrument really, arent a pure a sine wave generator. When you pluck a low E your pickup is sending a complex signal of that 41hz fundamental and lots of harmonics (82, 164, etc. I dont know if you also get half multiples like 62 as well, hopefully someone can reply and educate me). So the bottom line, if you allow my pun, is that your low E isnt JUST 41hz. Its a more complicated blend, and even if your cab cant usefully reproduce the lowest part of that complex signal, the rest still comes through fine and we interpret, amazingly, as being a low E.

The shroeder I played with (and s slew of other awesome cabs I am sure) do a great job of giving you those harmonics, but it really shouldnt be published that it has anything useful for the lower fundamentals. It doesnt. A lot of guys, myself included , interpret this as have a very useful classic rock tone.

I gotta say that although I was responding to the comment I quoted regarding older schroeders "going to" 41hz and my experiences contradicting that, I feel like this is becoming a thread derail now.

So, c'mon... INFO on the 1215L?????

20. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Crockett - Good post. I did a similar test once with a crossover. My 1210R had very little under 100 hz. Then I tested my Mesa 2x15 with EV 15L drivers. It also had very little under 100 hz. This suprised me because my impression of the tone of the Mesa was that it went LOTS deeper. But not really. It seems that much of the signal that many of us interpret as BASS is really above 100hz. My experimentation with EQ boosts around 40 hz confirms this as that frequency seems to big to be very useful for most things I do.