Schroeder 21012 vs Bergantino HT-322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spooner2112, Oct 6, 2005.

1. spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Talkbass newbie here.

I'm in the market for a "one cab solution" to go with my Ampeg SVT-3Pro head. From reading the various threads here, I've narrowed down to the Schroeder 21012 or the Bergie HT-322. (Also considered the Accugroove EW, but a bit too expensive.)

I play blues & rock in small to medium clubs, with an occasional outdoor gig. Cab size is a constraint, since I need to transport it in my hatchback with other PA gear.

The Schroeder is smaller and lighter, so I'm leaning towards that one. On the other hand, I've never heard one, and a friend of mine plays through an HT-322; I know it sounds awesome, and though it's bigger it's nevertheless sufficiently small to fit in my car.

Any comments/suggestion about the differences between these two cabs?

Thanks in advance.
  2. no help here, just a friendly reminder that this should be in the "Amps" forum. It should be moved by a mod shortly :).

Have a great day!
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Yep. One comment. A big one. Huge, even.

Both good cabs, but the Schroeder is a LOT more efficient. And that's going to be important, necessary even, to get significant volume from a 3Pro into a single cab.

I run a 3Pro into a 21012 myself. You won't be disappointed.

Welcome to TB.
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Even though I own only the 1212 I vote Schroeder too. I played a gig one night where the other band had a mid sized Berg cab, and my 1212, which is a smaller box blew it away. The 21012 is reported to be silly loud and have more low than the 1212.
  5. spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Oops, sorry about posting to the wrong forum. Thanks for all the helpful comments so far!
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It depends more on the tone that you are after, in my opinion. These two cabs (and in fact, each line of cabs) do sound quite different, and if possible, I would suggest that you try them out first.

7. spooner2112

May 24, 2004
    Arlington, Va
    Alas, trying them out first is not possible. Thus I need to rely on the ears and assessment of people here who have heard them. :)
  8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Everyone has different ears. If you are buying long distance then make sure there is some kind of return policy that you are comfortable with. That way if you don't like the cabinet you can send it back. You would have to pay for return shipping and insurance.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, I'll share what I can. To my ears, the Schroeder line has a very full low midranage, and they are certainly very efficient. My own personal take is that they are not really "flat" or "accurate", but it sounds like a lot of guys like how their tone sits in a band setting.

Bergantino cabs, in general, are more tonally balanced and more clear/articulate. They are pretty darn close to flat/accurate, but have a somewhat more full and punchy tone than, say EA (which I also often refer to as "flat" or "accurate").

These are just generalizations. Individual models may vary (for instance, the Bergantino HT series and NV series are quite different), and different combinations of gear may also bring out various aspects of each cab design. I have great respect for both Jorg and Jim, and they are both really nice to talk to.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Schroeder 21012 is very effiecient, the svt would work well with this cab.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Doubt that you'd be happy with the 3pro and the Bergie as it won't open up much with what that amp can deliver. So I agree the Schro is probably a better match for you, assuming you plan to keep the Ampeg head.