1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder 21012L Update

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJung, May 8, 2006.

1. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hello guys.

I finally got the 21012L out on enough gigs that I thought I'd post a quick update to my previous 'in the basement review' a while back.

As mentioned previously, the cab is a pleasure to schlep around. Slightly under 60 pounds (about the same weight as the Epi410UL), and only 16 inches deep... very portable. It's easy to get in and out of a standard back seat. Nice.

I was gigging large rooms, relatively loud band (about as loud as an unmic'd drummer can play) and no PA support.... 8-12 piece bands... multiple singers and small horn sections. Tunes were mostly 70's pop and funk, with some more recent pop mixed in.

I used the Thunderfunk550 and a Celinder Update 5 (basically a 70's J Bass type instrument) with new DR Hi Beams.

As with all Schroeders, the cab is very efficient. The cab had no problem pumping out massive volume with the 500 watts into 4ohms that the TF was putting out.

This larger Schroeder sounds VERY different than the 1210 and 1212r's that I was using previously. There is no 'mid hump', etc. This cab is much more 'traditionally' voiced, I assume due to the larger physical size of the box.

The cab, as you know, has a baffle mounted 12, two front mounted 10's and a selinium tweeter. The sound of this cab is VERY wide... HUGE low end, and lot's of sizzle if you want it (with my very bright bass and new SS rounds, I ran the tweeter at about 9 o'clock, and it sizzled like crazy:bassist: ). This cab has no problem handling a low B string played aggressively.

It was the first time I've run my Thunderfunk completely flat... i.e., all tone controls flat, timber centered and enhance all the way off... I mean 'flat'! It sounded great that way... plenty of punch and huge low end, and all the volume you could ever need, short of playing a 'metal' gig.

However... I now understand a few 21012 owners' comments regarding 'a lack of punch' in this particular cab. If not for the TF's very mid present and punchy voice, I would probably have found this cab way too wide, low and open. It has the feel of a large 118 cab with a 210 cab on top... surely not a bad thing at all for a cab smaller than most 410's, but quite a different voicing than I'm used to. To put this is some context, I run the TF using the very mid-punchy and articulate Ep410UL with the enhance on around 9 o'clock, the timbre slightly to the left (voicing the amp somewhat to the bass side), and usually roll in a touch of the bass control). This setting was WAY too boomy and 'low endy' with the Schroeder.

So... I'm very pleased with it, and if you are looking for a cab that puts out BIG low end in a small light package.. this could be the cab for you. However... if you have a less mid-punchy head, I would think the 410Light would be a better option IMO.

Hope that all makes sense.

K

2. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Great, now I want one even more. :D

I love my 1212, and would like to get another Schroeder provided it's different enough to justify owning another. Sounds like this could be it!

3. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Great review Ken, I've been waiting patiently for you to get a chance to open this cab up on a gig with your TF and Celinder. :bassist:

4. The one thing I have found with my 310212 is that it also has a very full sound in the very low mids - now, while this is something alot of players dislike, I find that it gives me more useable power from my amp, as usually I would have to push the lows on my amp a little to get my sound, whereas now I cut back on the low end instead, meaning that the amp doesn't have to push so hard, and I still get the same full tone I want... I do sometimes push the high mids a tad to get more clarity and definition, but this doesn't sap the power out of a head like pushing the lows

5. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    nice...thanks for the review:hyper:

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Cool. I was waiting for this review as well. :)

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    KJ: "hope that all makes sense."

Yessir, it does. Thanks...

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Me three. Thanks, KJ!

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    That's a nice review, sound pretty impressive.

10. Wish I could write that clearly about things musical and with that much information content.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I really am enjoying this cab. I think Jorg's new 'L' series cabs (specifically the 21012 and 410) are really a step forward in cab design. They are again very lightweight, but powerful enough to do a very loud gig. Previous to the introduction of these cabs, the Epi410UL was the only cab that I found to fit these two criteria, so it's nice to have another option out there.

Also, for those that thought that somewhat unusual voicing of the original 1210 and 1212's was not for them, the larger 'L' cabs are much more traditionally voiced, so it might be worth another look if you have a need for 'very loud and lightweight'.

There are tons (pardon the pun again) of great sounding cabs out there, some large and relatively (or very:eek: ) heavy, some small and relatively lightweight. However, the EpiUL410 and these two Schroeders seem to be in a class by themselves at the moment... huge power handling capability (1000+ watts), lighter than some 210 cabs, and the sound and volume of a full size cab. Nice!

12. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.

Hey Ken, one question about your 21012L...how does it compare to your Epi 410UL in terms of the B string? Thanks.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The B string description is similar to the general cab description IMO:

21012L B string.... full, very large, 'fundamental sounding', wide, clean, big

410UL B string.... tight, punchy, clean, more like a natural extension of the E string

Both sound great in their own way. As per above, the 21012L sound more like a 115/210 or 118/210 stack, and the 41UL sounds like... a 410!

14. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    Much appreciated! :hyper: